XBAND 2 Beta Signups

All NetLink League news and announcements go in here (Reply only-no new posts).
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

XBAND 2 Beta Signups

Post by Krazystyle83 »

http://www.xband2.com:8080
Even if you've tested before and want to test again you will still need to sign up to get a Beta code. This will not be your run of the mill Xband beta. The software is completely new. I will no longer be spamming the news with topics unrelated to Netlink, but I appreciate all the support you guys have given us. I appologize for my lack of being around the forums, as i've been very busy with several insane projects.

Thank you for being kick-ass Saturn-Leaguers!
Krazystyle
Last edited by Krazystyle83 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

no one hardly used it anyway....
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Very sorry to hear it. I haven't had the time for the last month or so, and was just going to get back into this now. I wanted to thank you guys, everyone involved, for all the hard work you poured into it, and I wanted to let you know that my friends and I were genuinely excited to see this turn out. I think with a lot of exposure, it would've gained a regular following.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Teen_Extreme

a YouTube video

Post by Teen_Extreme »

to you guys whant a gameplay of XBAND 2.0 heres a video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnVJ8Mcg3A
lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy »

I personally don't have much of an interest in XBand 2.0 while its only on PC as an emulator of sorts, but if this project ever went forward enough so that old consoles could work with Xband again I would be extremely excited about that. Maybe other people felt like me, I don't know. Still, thanks for your hard work on this project. Maybe people weren't around too since winter is a busy time for people because of the holidays and stuff.
ps2onlinegaming.com (Site for scheduling PS2 online and PS2 LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) matches)

www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

lazyhoboguy wrote:I personally don't have much of an interest in XBand 2.0 while its only on PC as an emulator of sorts, but if this project ever went forward enough so that old consoles could work with Xband again I would be extremely excited about that. Maybe other people felt like me, I don't know. Still, thanks for your hard work on this project. Maybe people weren't around too since winter is a busy time for people because of the holidays and stuff.
The only problem with using the original xband modem on original hardware is that its a modem... not many people use analog telephone lines these days anymore and even more so ethernet has taken over. most people are using broadband and its much faster and eliminates any chance of lag.

There has been an idea of an optimized piece of standalone hardware that runs the software and emulator setups and eliminates the need for a keyboard or mouse or the chance of the user running crazy background programs and eating bandwidth and slowing pc performance down. its EXTREMELY cheap and like i said stand-alone. hopefully the new release that krazy and laguna are working on will take use of the standalone hardware idea we've tossed around and already somewhat prototyped.

The problem with getting the original modem to work also is the fact that no one really wants to jump on that bandwagon. while we do have some source code game patche, the system is very complex there would be no cheap and easy way to get it working for the masses. everyone wants cheap and easy or they bitch and complain.
lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy »

Well isn't netlink for sega saturn only usable through analog phone lines? You guys seems to have a thriving community of people able to deal with that here. There are lots of people who still regularly play old consoles, and I am sure there is a segment of them that would be very excited if the could use their original hardware to play with Xband 2.0, even if it is complicated or expensive to setup.

I should say that I am not great with technical computer stuff, so I won't act like I understand how to make Xband 2.0 work on consoles. I appreciate all the hard work you guys have put in and I never could do what you guys have done so far.

I am not sure if I completely understand what you mean by having a standalone piece of hardware to run Xband 2.0. Would it basically just be something that runs the emulator? Sort of like a clone nes console or something? Like would you still be able to use your cartridges on it? Or would it just be like the PC version of Xband 2.0 where it is purely an emulator?
ps2onlinegaming.com (Site for scheduling PS2 online and PS2 LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) matches)

rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

The standalone hardware setup is a thin client pc that is bare bones hardware. just has enough ram and processing power to run what it needs and get by with room to spare (1ghz processor and 512 ram). its VERY compact and has an ethernet connection, sound output and a vga output, multiple usb ports and the entire interface is usb control pad driven. You can connect The console to a moniter or TV as well. its like its own game console but boots directly into the xband 2.0 interface which works with the emulators to simulate the real hardware. Its still a very early un-finished prototype project thats been tossed around a little and had some testing which does prove that dedicated hardware plays extremely smooth online without any lag. proof of this was done with a match of super mario kart from austin,tx to canada. worked flawlessly and had little to no lag and i was using DSL with about 300kbs down and 1.4mbps uplink.

xband 2.0 wont ever work on the console as its purely written in .NET 2.0 language (soon to be ported to open source version i believe). its strictly pc based for now until otherwise ported or whatnot.

The old hardware is not totally dead. it probably can make a come back but the lack of people wanting to help is whats keeping it dead. ive got pretty much all the necessary data and files to get it running or to create a new server but i cant do it alone by myself. ive been documenting and re-searching and checking things out here and figured out how it all works and trying to assemble another team but it seems no one really wants to help. thats the only reason why i say its more or less dead.

who knows though, it might pick up again and we might make some progress you never know.
lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy »

rush6432 wrote: The old hardware is not totally dead. it probably can make a come back but the lack of people wanting to help is whats keeping it dead. ive got pretty much all the necessary data and files to get it running or to create a new server but i cant do it alone by myself. ive been documenting and re-searching and checking things out here and figured out how it all works and trying to assemble another team but it seems no one really wants to help. thats the only reason why i say its more or less dead.

who knows though, it might pick up again and we might make some progress you never know.
Well that is a shame. I wish I had the technical know-how to help out, but I don't. I hope someday you find some other people to help you with this. I'll always be interested in the possibility of getting this to work on the original consoles again.

Post by 9.95 »

as a former Xbander, I will be ALL OVER this! I was a huge SSF2, MK2, MK3, and KI player back in the day and I loved me some NBA Jam TE, Griffey, and NHL 95 and 96...

wow... I would love to see this happen... expect my support!
www.ultimatemk.com
www.classicmk.com
www.testyourmight.com

THE places to go for all tournament level Mortal Kombat!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Hopefully we'll see the new interface in march and release some info about this stand-alone hardware and release a flash image that will setup the hardware to run xband2 out of the box. Sega support is not too far off from being implemented.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Yikes, no update :( hopefully i can get ahold of krazystyle and get the server app so i can run the server for xband2 again if he doesnt want to keep it going. ive got a dedicated server here i can use....
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

Aye, with the insanity of life, and all the huge projects we've been working on, the 'Freeman client' is pseudo working. The reason I haven't given anyone any code is its probably not wanted (because of how dirty it is). Anyone running the Edgeworth Server was asking to be hacked. The Edgeworth builds of Xband 2 used RAW MYSQL, and whats even worse, all clients logged in as Root to the server. We knew this was terrible, we knew it was ugly. But the more we thought about it at the time, The more we thought, who's going to want to hack this project anyways? The Freeman client is so much faster and more raw. The very few places we use SQL are now all server side like they should be. The new beta signups will be available on Xband2.com very soon.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Good to see this is still on the plate. let me know when you need testing done. im down. ive got a server sitting her i can host if need be :)