XBAND 2 Beta Signups

All NetLink League news and announcements go in here (Reply only-no new posts).
Undertaker_COTN

Post by Undertaker_COTN »

rush6432 wrote:
lazyhoboguy wrote:I personally don't have much of an interest in XBand 2.0 while its only on PC as an emulator of sorts, but if this project ever went forward enough so that old consoles could work with Xband again I would be extremely excited about that. Maybe other people felt like me, I don't know. Still, thanks for your hard work on this project. Maybe people weren't around too since winter is a busy time for people because of the holidays and stuff.
The only problem with using the original xband modem on original hardware is that its a modem... not many people use analog telephone lines these days anymore and even more so ethernet has taken over. most people are using broadband and its much faster and eliminates any chance of lag.

The problem with getting the original modem to work also is the fact that no one really wants to jump on that bandwagon. while we do have some source code game patche, the system is very complex there would be no cheap and easy way to get it working for the masses. everyone wants cheap and easy or they bitch and complain.
Warp2063 wrote:The thing that's held me back is cost or lack of knowledge. Telephone line simulators aren't cheap. I don't want to dump $100-200 on one if I don't have to.
I have always been interested in resurrecting XBand. I have a degree in Video Game Design, A+ Certified, 115+ IBM/Lenovo Certifications. I have a big network. I know network techs, programmers, and hardware techs. I have a few machines for servers.

If you build it, i believe they will come reguardless of old technology or lag. Those who have played will know to expect that. Those that have done some research should have an idea. I played hours on end on XBand. I mainly played Madden 95 on SNES. I did play many other games, but I was no where as great as I was on Madden 95. I was #1 in Madden 95. I had my share of hair pulling lag and freeze ups, but that's the way it was. That's old school technology.

As far as the phone line simulator being 100-200. I rather have that then a made up one with hopes that it was put together right. I know keeping costs low is important, but i think it wouldn't be a problem.
The Death Bell Has Tolled And Your Soul Is Mine... Rest...In...Peace...
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Well if your interested in trying to get it working let me know. if you know some serious hardcore guys that would be into this let me know for sure.

The protocol is olschool variant of appletalk. the programmers all originally worked at apple if that tells you anything. Source code ive got is all in C or 68k asm. while i can read and understand 68k and code some of it, some of it is above my head. many have looked at it and found it too difficult to understand or bother with.

Just be prepared if you decide to jump into it.
Undertaker_COTN

Post by Undertaker_COTN »

Can you send me some files of each of the programming language?? appletalk, c, and 68k asm?? I'll show it to my programmer friend and see what he says and use my network resources if needed. I recall something about someone taking apart the modem and pulling all of the data off of it, is that correct?? Do you have all those files?? Do you have all of the server files or some of the files?? About what % if not all of them.
The Death Bell Has Tolled And Your Soul Is Mine... Rest...In...Peace...