Sega Netlink is back!

All NetLink League news and announcements go in here (Reply only-no new posts).
Xiden

Sega Netlink is back!

Post by Xiden »

OFFICIAL GUIDE At: http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vie ... f=2&t=8453

EDIT: We've now tested all games and were able to play them all. With Daytona and Sega Rally performing near perfect.

In terms of performance heres how they rank

1.Sega Rally Championship - Ran nearly perfect
2.Daytona USA CCE - Ran nearly perfect
3.Saturn Bomerman - Has a steady brief pulsing lag but very playable!
4.Duke Nukem 3D - Runs nearly perfect
5.Virtual On - Run very well has a little lag

If we find even more ways to reduce lag or if any of you out there were able to find a configuration that works even better than ours let us know and I'll update the guide!

---------------------------- ORIGINAL POST--------------------------------------------------
I'm excited to announce that me and SEGARPGFAN were able to get Sega Netlink working successfully with a voip connection!

We used two Unlocked Cisco / Linksys SPA1001 FXS VoIP Phone Adapters. With lots of configuration changes on the VOIP settings we were able to play several matches of Saturn Bomberman and Sega Rally Championship!

Sega Rally actually ran pretty much lag free, our first match had a hiccup or two but it was brief. 2nd match ran without any lag or issues!
Saturn Bomberman was a little bit laggy but very playable! We played quite a few matches of that.
We still are needing to test out the remaining netlink games but I'm thinking they will work just fine as well :)

Once we finish up our testing and adjusting settings I'll try to compile a quick guide for others to try :). The good news is once you setup the voip adapter you never have to again. All you have to do is dial your opponents IP address and port number with xband!

Also wanted to point out that if you connect to the internet via a Dreampi and go to the Netlink zone you'll be redirected to dreampipe.net automatically with no modification needed :) Hopefully we can get a site up and running so you'll be able to talk with other netlink users like back in the day.
Last edited by Xiden on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Re: Sega Netlink is back!

Post by Xranger60 »

Hmm... if only there was a site dedicated to Netlink ;)

On a serious note though, that's excellent news. How far apart are you guys geographically?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Xiden

Post by Xiden »

Im in texas and hes in minnesota
itsstillthinking1999

Post by itsstillthinking1999 »

The excitement!
SEGA
Xiden

Post by Xiden »

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Nice. :)
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
SEGA RPG FAN

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

Has anyone ever looked into replacing the Japanese Xband files with the US Netlink files to try to get a JP game to work with the Netlink? I think Decathlete would play great with this VOIP setup.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Amazing, I knew one day this would be possible. Looks like Ill be getting back into Netlink gaming again
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh that's interesting!
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
itsstillthinking1999

SEGA
TheGuyAleXD

Post by TheGuyAleXD »

I'm planning to try this out one day
itsstillthinking1999

Video uploaded, Bomberman for some reason looks way smother than it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xKiknr_tY
SEGA
grolt

Post by grolt »

Guys, I have to say...this is totally awesome. I used to play NetLink when I still had a dedicated landline, but since switching over to a VOIP telephone system I was never able to get a good enough connection to sustain any games other than ones that were within my city. Seeing all the work you've done here and the promising results makes me so happy. I had always hoped there'd be a VOIP solution in the future, but never thought there'd be enough interest for someone to do the legwork to make it work. Kudos to all who've gotten us to this point!

I've just ordered one of those VOIP adapters from eBay and look forward to setting up a game here soon.

How many of you all are still actively playing over NetLink?
That's fly.
Xiden

Post by Xiden »

grolt wrote:Guys, I have to say...this is totally awesome. I used to play NetLink when I still had a dedicated landline, but since switching over to a VOIP telephone system I was never able to get a good enough connection to sustain any games other than ones that were within my city. Seeing all the work you've done here and the promising results makes me so happy. I had always hoped there'd be a VOIP solution in the future, but never thought there'd be enough interest for someone to do the legwork to make it work. Kudos to all who've gotten us to this point!

I've just ordered one of those VOIP adapters from eBay and look forward to setting up a game here soon.

How many of you all are still actively playing over NetLink?
Theres 4--5 people so far that im aware of that have the voip setup. I know a few others that have expressed interest in joining us too. So we should end up with a nice group of players
Once you are ready you might join us in this new thread
http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=10279

Im more active on dreamcsst talk than I am here
Austin Peyton

Post by Austin Peyton »

WHOA
very cool.
I have one question
How do i get on the web on my saturn via the voip?
Do you follow the steps of dreampi with the voip but just with a saturn?