Sonic 4, Episode 1

There's a lot going on in gaming today, discuss all things gaming here.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Sonic 4, Episode 1

Post by Xranger60 »

It's out, and the reviews are in:
IGN 360 wrote:It's been a long and often unforgiving road for SEGA's mascot over the past decade. After a number of miscues on consoles, SEGA stepped into the wayback machine and returned to a time when Sonic was platforming king. Part remake, part sequel, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 recreates four zones from the original Genesis game, but adds enough bells and whistles to make it feel like something new.

Breathe easy, Sonic fans. SEGA got this one right.
IGN Review. Score: 8.0
Gamespot 360 wrote:This faithful but inconsistent throwback to the earliest Sonic games mingles high-speed thrills with a few too many frustrations.
Gamespot 360 Review. Score: 6.5.

Two highly differentiated scores for our favorite Hedgehog. Have you guys played? Are planning to buy? I think I will take it for a spin. I can't pass up the first classic sonic game in years.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Krazystyle83
Xband 2 Dev
Xband 2 Dev

Post by Krazystyle83 »

LagunaCloud has been telling me to buy this game over and over. He is a very harsh on Sonic Games. I'm betting you this a goodie
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Very good to know. I think Sega couldn't have made a better decision than to get back to the basics. Nothing has been successful since the Sonic Adventure games, and it's the old school style of play that people have missed.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I've only played the demo which was identical on the ps3 and 360. The only complaint I have about the demo is how long it takes Sonic to get started but you can just jump and gain a little momentum instantly. I'm thinking about buying it but feel $15 is a little much. But what's stopping me from buying it is I have to put $20 of MS points in my account to buy it so it's basically spending $20. Which I just feel is to much. It's been so long since Iv'e bought anything on PSN that I don't know if it works the same way but I think it used to. I don't like having that extra change sitting in my account. I wish I could just pay for the game outright.
Game collection on my site.
Macabre

Post by Macabre »

I downloaded it on my Wii, which was a mistake. Some of the wiimotes have a different sort of d-pad than others (all official, motion plus doesn't make a difference). Out of the three official Wiimotes i have, only the original one that came with the system has a d-pad that makes the game playable (others he keeps crouching).

It oddly doesn't support classic controls or gamecube controls, which really sucks.

Other than finding a proper controller, the game is great! Its pathetically expensive when you consider that its a single part of a series for the game (four short chapters = $15...Isn't it standard for sonic games to have around 7 to 8 levels?)

It is very pretty. I love the background effects, although this is something that could be possibly ported to the dreamcast graphic-wise.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Check with GameStop. Some stores have the ability to sell DLC codes, so you can just pay for the DLC you want without having to buy a card and having leftover points.

As for the price, yes, a standard Sonic game has more stages. But this is only one-third of a Sonic game. A third of the price, a third of the levels.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Honestly, I think this is a great game! Boght it for the 360 with some points I had on my account. I really dont think Im going to buy the other episodes due to the high price, but having a single episode is alright. In my opinion they should've just shipped episode 1-4 on the same day. Giving you the option to buy the complete pack or just one episode.

PS: Where's the genesis version? :D
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:PS: Where's the genesis version? :D
I think the Genesis would cry tears of molten plastic if it tried to play Sonic 4. O_O
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
lazyhoboguy

Post by lazyhoboguy »

There is also a fanmade sonic hd game that is a remake of sonic 2 that is out.

http://www.destructoid.com/jimpressions-sonic-fan-remix
ps2onlinegaming.com (Site for scheduling PS2 online and PS2 LAN tunneling (Xlink Kai) matches)

www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

lazyhoboguy wrote:There is also a fanmade sonic hd game that is a remake of sonic 2 that is out.

http://www.destructoid.com/jimpressions-sonic-fan-remix
I just downloaded this, and the screens look gorgeous. Going to fire it up!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Great! More Sonic games :D Still cant get enoguh of Sonic!

I hope they're gonna remake Sonic CD!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:Great! More Sonic games :D Still cant get enoguh of Sonic!

I hope they're gonna remake Sonic CD!
Now THAT would be nice, too! I'm just excited that the classic gameplay is back.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Now THAT makes me happy! Classic Sonic gameplay, no more Sonic Unleashed... That game was the shit!
Manji

Post by Manji »

in a similar vein of Sonic 4, check out this fan made remake of the original Sonic. looks better than the Sega developed Sonic 4 in a lot of ways!

http://sonicfanremix.com/

as for Sonic 4, it looks alright even though i dont have any plans on buying it. i dont like the idea of episodic content here, but it could work out.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I have to say, after trying out Sonic 4 tonight, I love it. It really brings back that classic sonic feel, and brought a smile to my face for a while. Anybody with doubts, don't worry, Sega has done right by Sonic.