PC Engine

There's a lot going on in gaming today, discuss all things gaming here.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

PC Engine

Post by Warp2063 »

I've had a growing interest in the PC Engine as of late, after playing some Bomberman '94 on my PSP. Now I'm thinking about picking up one of those little white boxes... or even more preferably one of the Duo units. In the event that I did pick up a PC Engine, I might have to use this cleaning guide I found...

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/clean ... ngine.html

I'm not sure what games I'd go for, but I'm loving the graphics and animations that some of the CD games put out.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Re: PC Engine

Post by Xranger60 »

I never knew that Hudson Soft was in the business of making any hardware. I would pick up one of the versions other than the original so that you're not limited to using RF output.

The Turbografx apparently had a CD peripheral extremely early in console history. Interesting. I remember sometime around 1993-94, our family bought our first CD-ROM attachment for our old Macintosh. It was SCSI and the speed was extremely slow- I wonder if the CD support for this is similar to that.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I agree on not getting an original PC Engine - other than the awesome appearance, there's no reason for me to get that one. I'd much prefer the Duo-R or one of its variants... I'd like to have the CD drive built-in.

I'm guessing that it was a 1x drive. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the load times weren't bad at all, though.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

What games will you be picking up for it?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, I'm not even sure I'll be picking one up. Even if I did, I'm not sure what I'd get for it. I decided to go back to school, and I no longer have an income...

As I said, I rather enjoy Bomberman '94, so that would be a candidate. I also want to look into some of those games with "big, colorful sprites."
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

The Bonk games, Splatterhouse, Air Zonk and any Bomberman games are a good start. If you have a TG16, region modded system or can read Japanese the Neutopia games are very solid Zelda clones.

I'd be completely envious of you if you picked up one of the Duos. The first thing I'm going to buy when I win the Mega Millions is a Duo (us or jpn) or a NEC pak for my Laseractive then I'm going to buy a mansion to put them in :D

The CD Add on or Duo have been number one on my video game wish list for about 4 years now. The $200 price tag has been keeping me away. That's just to pricey for a 20 year old used import CD rom system. If I gambled that kind of change and it didn't work I'd be absolutely livid.

I've got a TG16 with the Turbo booster (thanks for the turbo booster Manji!) and a decent little collection of Turbo chips going. Also have a boxed PC Engine (thanks Warp!) and have two Hu Cards. I had to get the PCE version of Street Fighter II just to see what it looks like and I picked up Bonk II from some website that had it for few bucks. I've got a buddy living in Japan and have been meaning to ask him to pick up a couple of ultra cheap Hu Cards...like $1 or $2 shooters that proliferate the systems library but I've been pretty broke too.

Man...I've bought something from most of the regular posters here. That's what I love about this great little community. :D The Deals I got from Manji and that PC Engine from Warp were absolute steals!
Game collection on my site.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

It's always nice to have a place where people will provide assistance rather than compete with you to try and buy things. I've heard that some in the Resident Evil collector's community are cut-throats.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I was glad to help when I could. :)
JerryTerrifying

A lot of times when I see topics with people asking where to buy games and junk I recommend forums. Places like Racket Boy have trading forums where the users rate their buying and selling experience. A lot of the time you'll find really great prices.

I've bought some of my favorite things from the people on this board. Something I didn't mention in my last post is the Neo Geo AES I got from Manji for an absolutely killer price and a couple Saturn games I bought from Derek. If it weren't for Manji I probably never would have gotten an AES as they go for so damn much. This place definitely has a nice group of people hanging around. :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Speaking of people getting PC Engines, did you ever make a video of it or anything, Jerry? I tried to go through the mondocoolcast archives, but I couldn't find anything about it.
JerryTerrifying

I don't think I mentioned it on youtube or anything but I'm sure I at least mentioned it on the podcast. I don't do a lot of "what I bought" videos or pick ups or whatever. One because my girlfriend monitors my youtube page so I'd have to hear more bitching and I also just don't like that kind of video and don't want to add to the problem.
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

PC Engine has some good games. The CD System has the original Darius, at least 10 good RPGs, the exclusive Dracula X, the exclusive Fighting Street, both CD and standard systems have a lot of cool shooters. Good action platformers like Legendary Axe. For rpg's alone the CD system is awesome.