Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

There's a lot going on in gaming today, discuss all things gaming here.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Post by Warp2063 »

Long before I ever owned a Sega system, I was a fan of Nintendo. Consequently, the Zelda series is one of my favorites. I love the high adventure, the music, the puzzles, the action, the stories...

I've only been playing for a few hours so far, and this Zelda does not disappoint. I'm still acclimating myself to the new art style, but it does the series justice. the soundtrack is beautiful.

If people want, I can post a somewhat in-depth review when I'm further along or done with the game.

Is anyone else playing?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Re: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I'm interested in knowing more about Skyward Sword. I don't have any money to get myself a copy now though.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I haven't had much time to play it over the Thanksgiving break, and I have no idea how much time I'll have in the next few weeks as I approach finals. However, so far, the game has beautiful music, good humor for a Zelda game, decent graphics, dated animations (I'm sure in part due to the age of the Wii's hardware)... I'm liking the character development and expressiveness. The art style bothers me a little, but it's quite good. I can't wait to hook my Wii up to a better screen. The world feels more realistic... homes for the random workers in the starting town for example.

All in all, I'm really enjoying it. I only wish I actually had time to play in earnest.

I'll let you know more when I've had a chance to really tackle some dungeons.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

I actually awarded Skyward Sword my game of the year. Shocked the heck out of me to be perfectly honest. I.m one of those who wasn't too impressed with the whole motion controls over graphics idea Nintendo was pushing this generation, but this game really changed my mind. Love it!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I forgot that I posted this. :P Because I have the free time right now, I've been VERY addicted to Skyward Sword. Overall, I'm really enjoying it. Some of the enemies are really annoying me... They're not as much fun to fight. I applaud the better AIs, although that's part of what's frustrating me during battles. Much of the music isn't memorable... I felt one of the puzzles I've encountered so far was indecipherable. Most of the controls are good, although I miss having several items equipped and being able to flip between them simply by touching a button. Some of the dungeons aren't really grabbing me, although some of the new elements are really neat. I like the side quests and upgrades... They're an interesting change of pace. I really like the effort that was put into making the characters in-game more lifelike... Their varying personalities, the fact that they have relationships, families, homes they return to at night... It makes the world feel that much more real.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Yeah I don't think it's the perfect Zelda, but it was nice to see Nintendo try and do something a little different. It's neat having to return to the same three areas several times, but each visit allows you to traverse more of the area. The only part that started to get to me was the very end of the game where you essentially have one fetch quest after another. Wasn't a huge fan of that.

As for the battle, I really enjoyed most of the boss battles because you couldn't simply waggle your way to victory. For the most part you can for the regular enemies so long as you stun them first or learn their weaknesses.

The motion controls really work well with the exception of the forward slash. I had a lot of trouble with that one once you're in the heat of battle. Sometimes the Skyward strike wouldn't really work either for one reason or another.

The puzzles and dungeon design was great though. I really enjoyed it. I've got my video review up if you're curious to know what I thought (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nUteBbkFAc). Yeah I know, a little plug, but hey why not lol.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

More than once I've been reminded of a Metroid game with the whole "revisit an area repeatedly with new powers, have greater accessibility" thing.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Exactly what I thought. I enjoyed the new style, but at the same time I must admit that I did miss the traditional overworld. I always loved exploring every inch of Hyrule, but this time around that wasn't really an option as Skyloft was so small. That said, I thought it was really neat how each of the ground sections felt almost like mini dungeons in themselves before actually accessing a dungeon. Very cool stuff.