Revived Servers

There's a lot going on in gaming today, discuss all things gaming here.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Revived Servers

Post by Xranger60 »

A relatively recent phenomenon in gaming is the loss of server functionality for many games, especially as consoles like the PS2 and original Xbox have been phased out. Which online games have you played that no longer function online in any capacity?

To counter this phenomenon, some gamers have hoped and desired that servers for their favorite games could be reverse engineered. Successful examples include Phantasy Star and Star Wars Galaxies. Have you guys been following any other examples or efforts to revive a server?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Rogue

Re: Revived Servers

Post by Rogue »

I've used to play Dungeon Siege. I really like that game.
It's a shame that Microsoft shut down the servers.
It can't be that expensive. Look at Diablo. It's online since late 1996.

A game that I often play is Earth & Beyond. I'm not really into MMORPGs, but this one is really cool.
There's an "Emulator" online with nice people playing.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Rogue wrote:I've used to play Dungeon Siege. I really like that game.
It's a shame that Microsoft shut down the servers.
It can't be that expensive. Look at Diablo. It's online since late 1996.

A game that I often play is Earth & Beyond. I'm not really into MMORPGs, but this one is really cool.
There's an "Emulator" online with nice people playing.
It's so critical to have a good community. If people are acting immaturely, it can severely detract from the experience, while the opposite can encourage people to improve and spend more time playing.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

This isn't quite the same thing but it kind of goes with the topic. I'm a filthy console gamer but with the Xbox I learned the joys of System Link/LAN parties. A lot of modern games are neglecting LAN support and instead making the game online only. I don't see it being hard to implement LAN and it can't possibly hurt them by allowing long time fans to continue enjoying a game well after it's servers have had the plugs pulled.

I've recently gotten a few real life friends into gaming with the allure of System Link/LAN on the Xbox. filled up my friends basement with TVs and brought over a couple Xboxs for some Star Wars Battlefront II and Halo 2. But the biggest hit has been Bomberman. All my Xboxes are soft modded so I could copy all the LAN games onto the Hard drives but I also loaded up with emulators. Been having tons of Bomberman 94 parties.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Nice. I haven't been involved in a LAN party for years. I did boot up my original Xbox recently when a weird bug was preventing me from playing Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike on my 360 while my brother and I were home for the holiday break, but other than that I haven't had much opportunity to play anything multiplayer.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!