New poster, getting online

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
TheRealOC

New poster, getting online

Post by TheRealOC »

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone is getting their net link
online?

Do your ISPs provide dialup internet services, and you just plug in the netlink using an analogue home telephone cable, like would have been done back in 90s? Or is there a way of integrating the netlink into a home
broadband network?

Many thanks!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: New poster, getting online

Post by Warp2063 »

The US NetLink doesn’t use an ISP, generally - the games all utilized direct dialing of another player’s phone number. The only time you needed an ISP was to access websites via the browser. (The Japanese NetLink was closer to the XBAND - the modem would dial a matchmaking server before disconnecting and dialing your opponent.) Few ISPs still offer dial-up service, and usually only in remote areas, as far as I know.

These days, few phone companies actually offer the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS). Most companies that still offer telephone jacks for older, analog phones, do provide service via some kind of analog-to-digital VoIP setup - for example, through a cable modem or breakout box. The XBAND and NetLink relied heavily on the predictable latency and quality of the old copper lines, whereas modern VoIP devices are subject to the unpredictable timings of packet-switched networks, and are also usually optimized for voice, not playing well with an analog modem.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!