Netlink Direct Link question?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
imstarryeyed

Netlink Direct Link question?

Post by imstarryeyed »

Greetings folks, I have been a Saturn fan for years and was wondering if anyone has had any success in connecting 2 Sega Saturn Netlinks together without having 2 dedicated phone lines?

I have 2 Saturns and 2 Netlinks and thought it would be neat to connect them together and play some friends in the same room, but to get 2 phone lines for this seems like it would be inefficient.

Has anyone had any experience in maybe how this can be done?

I appreicate any help..

Thank you!!
*heresy*

Post by *heresy* »

why wouldnt u just play against them normally?

i mean theyre in the same room........
**former xbander...
**now has saturn and netlink...
imstarryeyed

Post by imstarryeyed »

That is a good question but I really wanted to be able to have each player on a separate screen and not have to share a split screen.

I think now that most of us are used to Xbox live, Nintendo DS or other games that are online and dedicated having their own screen you get kinda used to it.

It would be great to play Duke, Sega Rally, Daytona with dedicated full real estate screens.

I am beginning to think that it may not be possible given the closed nature of the Netlink modem.

Thanks again for your comments.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

hmmm, interesting question....well to have any chance of this working you will still need a phone line, or alternatively a line voltage simulator, you will most likely need one or the other so that both saturns see the line as viable, because if it detects no line voltage you will simply get an error message.

I think your best bet is to try plugging both saturns into the same phoneline and then set one saturn onto "waiting" and then get the other saturn to dial a false number, such as "000000000" and see what happens...it might work, it might not. Your phone line will be in use (engaged) but you will not be charged for a call if you use a fake number :)

Cheers, Craig
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

You can try a Saturn Link Cable.

I don't know what games uses it, but it exists!

XD
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

It does exist. Not a lot of games supported it, but the ones that did probably provided a cool experience. It would be cool to try it out.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
grolt

Post by grolt »

I'm way too late in this thread, but I've got that link, and Virtual On definitely supported it. One out of the 5 possible games you could have played ain't bad. :D
grolt

Post by grolt »

A little read-through online shows that the link cable also supported the following:

Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Doom
Geoblockers
Gungriffon
Hexen (must be in debug mode first)
Steeldom
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Wipeout

I never knew that about Daytona, I'll have to try it out.
That's fly.
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

There might be more import ones out there that support it. Certainly a cool concept, it is a pity more consoles and games didn't have this type of feature. Would be great for party gaming if you had more then one TV resonably close together.

Seems kind of hard to find today. There is a Japanese seller a on e-bay selling a copy boxed sets of Steeldom which includes the link cable for $25. A good buy I would think.
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us