A word of Warning for those buying netlink games!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
segadreamcaster

A word of Warning for those buying netlink games!

Post by segadreamcaster »

Hi,

Ok, I have a feeling some people are still a little confused about what games are netlink compatible.

First of all here is the FULL list of netlink compatible games:

Saturn Bomberman
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally - Netlink Edition
Virtual On - Netlink Edition
Daytona USA CCE - Netlink Edition

Ok, now that that is out of the way, let me say that you CANNOT use Japanese versions of these games online, despite the fact that you may have read elsewhere that they are netlink versions, this is because the Japanese versions used a server that is long since gone and as such, so are the games capabilites.

Also, PAL versions of these games are NOT netlink compatible, the only versions of these games that are playable online are the US NTSC releases and that is all, so if your intending to buy netlink games, but only games that were released in the USA.

Thats not the end of the confusion however, some games have multiple releases, and some of them don't have netlink features...heres a rundown for each game:

Saturn Bomberman:

Releases: 1

There was only one version of Saturn Bomberman released in the USA and it is netlink compatible, so as long as you purchase a US NTSC copy of Saturn bomberman, it will be netlink compatible...nice and easy :)

Duke Nukem 3D:

Releases: 1

Again only one release of this game in the USA, so any US NTSC copy you purchase will have netlink features :)

Sega Rally:

Releases: 2

Ok, as far as I know there were 2 releases of this game, one of which was the standard edition and the second which is called "Sega Rally Championship Plus - Netlink Edition". Obviosuly you want the second :) . As far as I know this game was only released in a special double pack with the netlink edition of Vitual On.

Virtual On:

Releases: 2

Very similar situation to Sega Rally, there were two version of this game released as far as I am aware with the same name except the netlink editon was called just that, "netlink edition", making the entire title, "Virtual On Cyber Troopers - Netlink Edition".

Daytona USA:

Releases: 3

Yeah you heard me right, thats 3 releases. The first one is simply "Daytona USA", the secong was "Daytona USA CCE" and the third and rarest version is called "Daytona USA CCE - Netlink Edition". As far as I know the netlink version was released in very very limited numbers and was only available direct from Sega via Sega.com, this game is one of the rarest games on the Saturn and is also one of the rarest games full stop, I cant help but feel that many people who think they have this game actually might have the wrong thing...I hope I'm wrong there :(

Ok, well thats my input on the matter...its actually quite a complicated, when you look at it, no wonder people get confused...if you are still confused however...look for the "Netlink playable" symbol in the top left corner of each game as they all carry it :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)