European Netlink? - Question

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
z3ntn3l

European Netlink? - Question

Post by z3ntn3l »

Hi all!

I´m still new to this Forum.
Its great to see Saturn Fans because i´m a Saturn Fan too. 8)

I ever wanted to buy a Netlink Modem but i´m not sure how it works. :?:

Maybe someone can answer my Questions: :shock:

- i own a european saturn with an Action Replay 4M Plus. So i can play every Region Games. Does a Netlink Modem work on my (e)-Saturn?

- I´m from germany and if i understand your Netlink-FAQ correctly, i only can play against other users from the country where i´am?

- Mouse and Keyboard wont work on my Saturn because they was never released in Europe?
segadreamcaster

Re: European Netlink? - Question

Post by segadreamcaster »

z3ntn3l wrote:Hi all!

I´m still new to this Forum.
Its great to see Saturn Fans because i´m a Saturn Fan too. 8)

I ever wanted to buy a Netlink Modem but i´m not sure how it works. :?:

Maybe someone can answer my Questions: :shock:

- i own a european saturn with an Action Replay 4M Plus. So i can play every Region Games. Does a Netlink Modem work on my (e)-Saturn?

- I´m from germany and if i understand your Netlink-FAQ correctly, i only can play against other users from the country where i´am?

- Mouse and Keyboard wont work on my Saturn because they was never released in Europe?
Greetings fellow European :)

First of all a very warm welcome to the forums :D

Onto your questions:

You can use a European Saturn, but you will need to modify it for use with the netlink as the use of an import cartridge (your Action Replay 4M Plus) will not be possible whilst using the modem as it also uses the cartridge slot. There is a way of swapping so this method will work, but is not recommended as it can damage your console and/or import cart/modem.

You can play netlink against anybody internationally, but remember the netlink uses "Direct dial" which is the same as an ordinary telephone call, so international charges may apply depending on your phone service, so keeping it local is usually best.

You can use the US or Japanese Keyboard and mouse on your EU saturn, as long as the software supports it, as all hardware is universally compatible :)

If you need anymore help please ask :)

Cheers, Craig
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

Thanks for the fast reply!

I think i will first try the swapping method. i´m very good in this swapping method 8)
hmm some phone providers here in germany have a "euro-flat"... just 5€ extra a month or somewhat like that...

ok, i think i will buy a netlink modem right now... :D 8)
segadreamcaster

Cool, go for it :)

Yeah as i say the swapping method will work ok, but saturns are notrious for cart slot problems when continually inserting and removing cartridges so ideally you should either mod the saturn or get hold of an US NTSC console.

The swapping method will work however, but just dont be suprised if ur cart slot dies :(

Goodluck and keep us updated :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

i´m bidding for a Netlink now.

What do you think is a good Price for a working used Netlink (without box)?
segadreamcaster

to be honest they are not really worth all that much, for a unboxed modem (on its own) I would say you should expect to pay somewhere between $15 - $20 (10-15 Euros).

For a nice boxed modem, with perhaps a netlink kb adapter perhaps look more along the lines of $30-$40 (20-30 Euros)

Certainly don't expect to pay very much, you can probably pick one up pretty cheap on ebay, possibly even cheaper than above....keep ur eyes open for postage costs though, that will put the price up as its being posted to Europe (doubt you will find many in Europe/Germany) :( Also make sure you buy the US NTSC version stay clear of the Japanese version, it will not work

Cheers, Craig

Update:

Just seen what you are bidding on...ok, thats not too bad...I would still say it's a little over priced to be honest but not much considering you have the mouse and browser in the package as well...certainly wouldn't bid again if you get outbid...but as it stands that wouldnt be a bad price :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
z3ntn3l

Post by z3ntn3l »

Yeah i think its pretty much. i wont bid higher. if i get it i´m happy because i allways wanted it and i think some euros over a "cheap"-price are OK for me. (and i think its in a good condition)
Sorry for my bad English.
segadreamcaster

Cool :) goodluck with the auction

Own all 5 netlink games:

Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman