Japanese NetLink games

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
grolt

Japanese NetLink games

Post by grolt »

I realize that the Japanese modem operated on a SegaNet server similar to Dreamcast and thusly none are playable today, but did anyone ever get a chance to play it online? Playing Virtua Fighter online would certainly be an experience - even today I don't really know of any arcade-like fighters online.
That's fly.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

hmm... I think there's 10 japanese games compatible with netlink...

and their netlink modem have a card slot, to put a card, I think it's a credit system for playing online...

but the Xbox have a lot of online games, I know at least Dead or Alive Ultimate, it plays online.. =)
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

I realize that the Japanese modem operated on a SegaNet server similar to Dreamcast and thusly none are playable today
Are you sure about this? The wikipedia article for SegaNet states:
"Unlike other online services, one doesn't connect to a central service, but instead tells the dial-up modem connected to the Saturn's cartridge slot to call to the person whom one wishes to play with. Since it requires no servers to operate, the service can operate as long as at least two users have the necessary hardware and software, as well as a phone line."
Anywho, I'm getting a SegaNet Modem, Internet Browser, Virtua Fighter Remix for SegaNet, and Padnifty to add to my import collection. I'll try to see if anything still works.

There is a card slot on the modem, though I've heard various explanations of what it is actually for...

If it still does work I'd certainly be interested in giving those games a try with someone.
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
grolt

Post by grolt »

That's interesting, ImportBoy. I remember reading elsewhere that Japanese connectability has long since ceased, but of course that has all been from North American writers, so that could totally be out to lunch.

It will be interesting to see if it works, you'll have to report back and let us know the long and short of it.
That's fly.
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

According to the sleek and efficent Japanese Post website, my package arrived yesterday at JFK airport. Hopefully will come later today when I get home, and I'll certainly write up a report.

Everything it is in brand new condition and sealed. All the manuals are included - so hopefully they will confirm or not a Sega server is needed to play.
-ImportBoy
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

Ok, it arrived here this morning. I've discovered quite a few interesting things.

There were actually TWO online gaming services for the Saturn in Japan. SegaNet by Sega. And Xband - remember those guys? Yeah, apparently Xband was licsenced by Sega of Japan before they went under. It is the Xband service that uses the smart card reader present on the modem.

The modem is not 28k. It is only 14k - ouch! It has both the SegaNet and Xband logos on it.

Virtua Fighter Remix - ths is a title for Xband. I'll try to play around with it latter and see if it also supports direct connection to play.

Pad Nifty - this is a SegaNet game. Based on what I've sort of read in the manual it appears to be a subscription based game and you need to pay with a credit card. Servers are probably long dead. Appears to support the Saturn floppy disk drive and keyboard as the manual shows them both being connected.

I also got Version 1 of the internet browser. It probably still works but I don't have a dial-up ISP to test it with anymore.
-ImportBoy
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
grolt

Post by grolt »

So the card slot had no function for SegaNet subscribers? Seems weird they'd just include it. Sucks on the 14.4, but you'll probably never play it anyway, so it is just a great historical artifact. How much did you have to shell for it?
That's fly.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

I'm pretty sure you will find that none of it will work any longer as they did require the matchup and credit system in Japan...hope im wrong though..let us know if you find anything interesting
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

So the card slot had no function for SegaNet subscribers? Seems weird they'd just include it. Sucks on the 14.4, but you'll probably never play it anyway, so it is just a great historical artifact. How much did you have to shell for it?
As far as I could tell from reading the included manuals the slot is only referenced to for Xband titles. The Internet Browser doesn't mention it either - just getting connected and stuff.

I can't read Japanese very well and I don't own many other Xband/SegaNet titles so I could be wrong. Padnifty makes reference using the floppy disk drive also, so I guess some SegaNet titles used it for something.

I paid around $60 including shipping. It was brand new and sealed, so I think I got a good deal as it has all of the manuals, registration information, etc. Even a discount on joining Tokyo Internet promotion.

The package included the modem, rj-11 phone cable, Sega Saturn Internet Vol 1 (the browser), Padnifty (for SegaNet), and Virtua Fighter Remix (for Xband). All in the same box; so obviously sold as a bundle.

When I have time, probably after finals, I'm going to try that free ISP for use with the browser software. Curious to see how it holds up as it was released in 1996.
-ImportBoy
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but did you try the Japanese NetLink?
Found anything interesting?
Maybe you could post a video on Youtube or something to show us what it'S like.
It sounds pretty interesting, even if it probably doesn't work online anymore
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I've got a brand new set, with modem, cables, Virtua Fighter Remix, Pad Nifty and Saturn Internet Vol. 1.

They're still sealed... XD

But I can't play them anyway... I can't play imports yet... so I didn't bother opening...

I'll try later the modem with the PlanetWeb Browser, just to sse what happens, but can't try the japanese software this time... =/
I'm ready to play!
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

You could rip your disk with your computer, then change the region of the iso, burn it and then you could swap disks and use it with your Saturn (of course, it's up to you, just a suggestion for the region problem). Hope you find something interesting! :D
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

o.O

No.

I don't like ripping, modding, copying, and anything related...

I have a great patience too... Got a lot of japanese games and can't play them. That EMS 4 in 1 cartridge is a good thing to get, but I'm not in a player mood actually... I'm just collecting...
I'm ready to play!
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Well, if you swap your 4 in 1 cartridge and your Japanese Netlink, you might break your console!
That cart slot is really sensitive.
Your other solution would be to buy a Japanese Saturn, if you like collecting
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh sure.

I'll never swap cartridges. The EMS is for the japanese games.

The japanese modem "needs" a japanese or modded Saturn for the software boot.
I'm ready to play!