Long Distance

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Zandengoff

Long Distance

Post by Zandengoff »

The articles arn't working so i don't know the answer to this question. The netlink connects directly to other users? How do you avoid long distance charges? Any help understanding would be great.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Yes, although it can connect to the internet through an ISP, for actual games one must dial the other person playing it. The only way to avoid long distance charges is, well, to play somebody close. :D If you post your location, then perhaps we can pair you up.
That's fly.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

grolt wrote: The only way to avoid long distance charges is, well, to play somebody close. :D If you post your location, then perhaps we can pair you up.
To bad thats not an option for me I live outside of Houston but not IN Houston.... But I do have 3 cents a minute long distance =)
grolt

Post by grolt »

Overwatch wrote:
grolt wrote: The only way to avoid long distance charges is, well, to play somebody close. :D If you post your location, then perhaps we can pair you up.
To bad thats not an option for me I live outside of Houston but not IN Houston.... But I do have 3 cents a minute long distance =)
You need to get a Saturn first though :D
That's fly.
Zandengoff

Post by Zandengoff »

I was reading online and found that vonage would be the perfect answer to my delima. The people that have had success use a dial combination and the phone number. You would also need a good modem (it is hit and miss). Would anyone be willing to try this to play a saturn game? i don't have vonage or a netlink but would really like to know if this works. If anyone is interested i will dig up the key combiation.
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

grolt wrote:
Overwatch wrote:
You need to get a Saturn first though :D
How did you know.... I've been stalking eBay dont worry.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Zandengoff wrote:I was reading online and found that vonage would be the perfect answer to my delima. The people that have had success use a dial combination and the phone number. You would also need a good modem (it is hit and miss). Would anyone be willing to try this to play a saturn game? i don't have vonage or a netlink but would really like to know if this works. If anyone is interested i will dig up the key combiation.
Welcome to the boards, Zandengoff! IP phone sounds great for NetLink at first glance. But your games will be at the mercy of network traffic. In my experience, game playing over IP phone will not be terrible, but it may have interrupts, lag, and other problems that you just don't get over a normal phone line. So I recommend using any one of the 10-10 services and keeping a normal line to play with- when you play a game and have virtually no lag, you won't regret it.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Zandengoff

Post by Zandengoff »

I am currently on a phone line in a dorm and are limited to 800 numbers and locals. i think i will get a pre-paid long distance card and try it out, as soon as i get my netlink :D
mjshopgames

Post by mjshopgames »

if you are the person waiting will you have to pay long distance charges if they are half way across the world??? and do you know where i can find a netlink for cheap??? Please get back to me as soon as possible!!! THanks
grolt

Post by grolt »

mjshopgames wrote:if you are the person waiting will you have to pay long distance charges if they are half way across the world??? and do you know where i can find a netlink for cheap??? Please get back to me as soon as possible!!! THanks
It is like a regular phone call, so no, you only pay long distance if you are the caller.

There are usually NetLink's on eBay for really cheap, but there are none at the moment, save for a ridiculously priced $100 one. Wait a few days and I am sure one will pop up.
That's fly.