American Netlink + Japanese Saturn

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
ImportBoy

American Netlink + Japanese Saturn

Post by ImportBoy »

I am considering picking up a Netlink Modem sometime in the future. Anyone know if this thing is region-free? I have a Japanese white model 2 Saturn.

I know I would need to region-patch the Netlink games to Japanese region so they would play but how about the modem itself?
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
Zandengoff

Post by Zandengoff »

If it helps any, my american saturn doesn't care about my japanese 4MB ram cart. Marvel Super Heros (US version) even uses it. From what i have read, there are no region locks on any carts.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yeah, I might be going out on a limb here, but I think it shouldn't be a problem.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Xranger60 wrote:Yeah, I might be going out on a limb here, but I think it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah indeed, the hardware will work in any region its just the software that can cause a problem...but as you have already allowed for that you should be fine

The only thing that can really cause issues is light guns, due to the NTSC?PAL and 50/60hz issues, but even this is getting to be less of an issue now.
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
ImportBoy

Post by ImportBoy »

Sounds like I should be good then, I'll try picking one up in the near future :)
-ImportBoy
Sega Saturn Information & Download Site - http://www.sega-saturn.us
kaneda@sega-saturn.us
EverestX

Post by EverestX »

Acctually, I have a Jap white V2 that will not work with netlink games. The netlink seems to boot fine but you have to Jpatch your games (then swap or use a chip). That means even your legit Cd's you will have to rip or D/l then patch to Jap region to boot. You can not *safely* boot with the AR then swap to the netlink. Just something to take into consideration.