NetLink over a vonage account lets test this and play.

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
acem77

NetLink over a vonage account lets test this and play.

Post by acem77 »

I just found this site linked form a digitpress post.
It got me thinking if I could still use my net link because I have vonage(ip phone)for my house phone. After some reading and testing it looks like the netlink should work.
As a test with my laptop I was able to make a dial-up connection to netzero.
At this point I don’t see any reason why the netlink would not work.

The best part is if it works I have unlimited long distance so I could call anyone I think even Canada for nothing extra.
So if anyone wants to help me test that out it would be great.
If I make all the calls the other party could play for free also :)
Send me a PM if you care to play. I live in ohio

I have a netlink with all the games.
Bomber man
Sega Rally
Virtual On
Duke Nukem 3-D
Daytona
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The difference between surfing the internet on a dial-up internet and a Netlink game is that the Netlink games can't handle lag or interference, whereas an internet browser can. The Netlink expects a direct, clean connection between two Netlinks over the phone lines, with nothing in the middle interfering. There is a small amount of lag when your VoIP box converts it to a digital signal, and another short delay as it gets converted back on the other person's end. If either one of you are downloading things at the same time, that delay will be greater and probably destabilize the connection.

Go ahead and test it. If it works, I'll be happy for you, and probably start asking lots of questions. But I've never heard of a successful case of playing Netlink games over an IP phone.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yes, as has been said many times before in this forum, and restated by Warp succinctly above, VOIP is really not very good for gaming. The NetLink does in fact rely on a traditional telephone line, which means instantaneous communication with little to no lag. Internet phone lines introduce an element of lag that can make a Netlink game frustrating. The game will most likely play, but depending on distance you will get frequent interrupts and delays, and I don't mean lag in the traditional sense, but a complete stop while the NetLink tries to resync.

Having said that, as soon as I am home in a few weeks I'd be willing to help test, and Warp said he may too.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Unless you are in the same city as the other player, it will not work. I've tried this several times with my VOIP phone, always the same result. I can surf the net no problem, even when calling California for my uplink. But every time I've tried a NetLink game, it connects fine but once the game starts to boot up I lose the other player before I get to the title screen.
That's fly.