Does the swap trick work with netlink?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I've done that method on both oval and round buttoned USA saturns and an oval button Japanese saturn. Works every time, and yes I was referring to the second swap.
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

Hmm its odd that that doesn't work for me, when I do it, it gets stuck at the Saturn logo and the disc just spins fast sometimes, then slow, and everything. Ya know, when you do it wrong and it fails to read. I need someone who has done the swap during the reset for a NetLink game. Itd be nice if they could give their exact timing (like how many seconds they wait for each swap or w.e, or I could just test it with someone, but nobody seems to be able to play...)
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: Netlink Edition

Just PM me, IM me, or the like if you'd like to play with me, I'll respond as soon as I can!
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

I confirm that the swap trick works without problems.
not only that, but you don't need to do it twice (the reset only occurs if you lose connection with the other player)
So in other words, just start the game with the swap trick like you would with any other games, connect with the other player and that's it.

On a side note, I experienced some MAJOR slowdowns with Bomberman, and sometimes with Duke Nukem. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Or is it normal? In Duke Nukem it wasn't that terrible, once I played 1 hour flawlessly while another time it was a big laggy with slowdowns. But Bomberman is just too slow. The gameplay's speed was so much slower than in the normal, offline game. Is it normal? Anyone else who played Bomberman with Netlink could comment about that? The positive part in all that is that it seems the Netlink can handle more lag than I thought, which gives me some hope for playing games on internet.
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

It's been a while since I've played a NetLink game, but I don't remember any heavy slowdowns. The slowdown you speak of may be due precisely to the lag.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

Maybe. Since my brother has a VOIP line, and I have a normal phone line, maybe it causes heavy lag, and the game, to keep up sync, just slows down the whole game. Well, that's the only explanation I can think of. On a side note, I didn't see many people writing about their actual game experience with the Netlink. Like, review each games' netlink mode or something. I was surprised by the total lack of options in Bomberman, and that there wasn't any ingame chat in Duke Nukem 3D, even in coop mode.
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
grolt

Post by grolt »

I am on a VOIP line and I played someone on a regular phone line within my own city, and there was no lag or slowdown whatsoever for both SEGA RALLY and DUKE NUKEM. In fact, I couldn't believe how smooth SEGA RALLY played. It was beautiful. When I've tried to play VOIP outside the city, though, I haven't experienced any slowdown, since it just disconnects once the game reboots to first start up. So I can't speak for BOMBERMAN, but my DUKE played perfect.
That's fly.