Does the swap trick work with netlink?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
shinoco

Does the swap trick work with netlink?

Post by shinoco »

Ok I answered my own question. I have alcohol 120 images of the netlink games and an import saturn, so I didnt think I'd be able to use them with the netlink using the swap trick since you cant convert the country code of alcohol images. I wasn't thinking, I can just convert them to iso and change the code, though there is still a question, is it possible to use the swap trick with the netlink?
XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

It can work, but remember that the Saturn will reset itself once you connect with the other player, but since the Saturn already knows the disc's layout, it will read the security code right away.
So as soon as you know that you connected (you see both players' avatars), switch to a real disk
I didn't get to play with my Netlink yet (once it connected but I wasn't expecting that reboot), but I'm sure it works fine.
Btw, where are you from?
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
shinoco

Post by shinoco »

I am in Hudson, Florida. Since it seems to work I will definately pick up the netlink. I am buying it online and will order Monday, so hopefully by Saturday next week I will have it. I've actually decided since VO and Duke are cheap I will get the netlink regardless.
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

So...since its a NetLink game and everything, does that mean that the swap trick method in which you push reset after the first swap won't work? Because I can't get it to work any other way than the one shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImVFQ8J5ls

I hope it works with the reset method, otherwise I can't play NetLink games with backups =\
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: Netlink Edition

Just PM me, IM me, or the like if you'd like to play with me, I'll respond as soon as I can!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

As much as I like to keep my systems unaltered, I'd still prefer installing a modchip over using a swap trick. It's a bit harder to do initially, but is easier to use in the long run. You're also less likely to accidentally damage a disc or the system in the process. With a modchip, you completely bypass the challenge of using a backup copy of a Netlink game.

Right now all the games I have are actual game discs, so this issue doesn't apply to me.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

Well, whether the swap trick works for NetLink games or not, I plan on buying original copies when I get the money. When I really enjoy a game, thats what I do, I'm just hoping the swap trick works for games I may not be able to find like Daytona for example.
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman

Just PM me, IM me, or the like if you'd like to play with me, I'll respond as soon as I can!
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

Some of us use the swap trick because we have model 1 saturns and we've blown through 2 friggin mod chips try to solder them and get them to work but to no avail. Hopefully if things work out me and Warp can do some testing at college and find out whether or not the swap trick works. I own Virtual On, but I know some of the other netlink games can get kinda pricey, I'm talking to you Bomberman.
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

Well I have a model 2 Saturn and can get the swap trick working easily, although I use the reset method (as I previously said). But since the Saturn knows the disc's layout already, I'm guessing that after I put in the legit Saturn game (when I see the avatars), when the console resets, the second swap should just be the same as it always is when I myself normally reset the console. I'm hoping it works out this way.

Anyway, I just won a NetLink and keyboard adapter on eBay, so I'll be sure to try this and let you guys know how it goes.
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman

XL2K5

Post by XL2K5 »

It should work, it works exactly the same as after you reboot your console with the swap trick you use. I have a model 1 Saturn, so it's much easier to do the swap trick (thanks to the LED). Don't worry about it, it will work just fine, the only problem is that if you miss the swap, you will have to restart everything.
Games owned :
Duke Nukem 3D
Sega Rally Championship : NetLink Edition
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On : NetLink Edition
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

When the game restarts, does it go thru the whole Sega Saturn logo thing, or does it just turn black and go to the Sega screen (I notice when I choose Wait from the Xband menu, watch the slideshow, and choose to return to the Xband menu, it resets, the screen turns black, then shows the sega logo and i have to swap again)? I'm wondering because I have a hard time doing the swap trick unless I have the intro video to guide me through it, as dumb as that may sound lol, I can't get the timing down by myself.
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman

shinoco

Post by shinoco »

The way I do the swap trick has worked every time for me on model 1 and 2 usa, and model 1 japan saturns. The disc starts spinning slow, then the laser moves. I can hear the laser move and the very second it stops moving I swap, works every time. I currently have a model 1 japan saturn but have owned all 3 that I mentioned. I don't do the swap trick anymore though because I noticed when removing a disc the laser starts jumping up and down, theres simply not enough Saturns out there to damage one.

I still havent gotten a netlink lol, though I'm hoping it will happen soon enough. Going to pick up a USA saturn and VO, the only game I want to play using netlink. Probably wont be for a month or 2 though, theres all kinds of stuff I want to buy.
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

I'm pretty sure the method you mentioned only works on Saturn Model 1. Since the Model 2 requires two swaps, and even if you're talking about the second swap, I always have to wait a little bit after the laser stops moving to swap the discs.
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Have you ever gotten the swap trick to work for any game, Koneko? You've defeated the "drive open" sensor already, I'm assuming?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
HoboJoe

Post by HoboJoe »

To get around the drive open sensor you just put a piece of tape over a little button thingy inside the drive area. Then it always thinks its closed.
KoNeko

Post by KoNeko »

Yeah, I've already got the swap trick working for booting games normally, I just don't know how it will work when I swap again once I'm connected to somebody and the console restarts before the NetLink game starts. The timing is a little different I bet, so I'm not sure how exactly it will work; guess I just have to try it and find out...
Currently have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman