NetLink and Xband Navigation Videos

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

That sounds like a great idea to me, i hope that it can work out
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

For anyone interested, I can capture videos of the Xband on Genesis within the next day or two. I was thinking about doing it for the Downloads section of the site anyway. Perhaps I'll do that and capture the audio by itself too.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

Xranger60 wrote:For anyone interested, I can capture videos of the Xband on Genesis within the next day or two. I was thinking about doing it for the Downloads section of the site anyway. Perhaps I'll do that and capture the audio by itself too.
Please do! This would be another great piece of Xband history to put up on YouTube. :D
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Are there any netlink videos of people playing duke or bomberman
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

oh i hope there is! i would love to see a bombman video!!!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

thoudx wrote:
Xranger60 wrote:For anyone interested, I can capture videos of the Xband on Genesis within the next day or two. I was thinking about doing it for the Downloads section of the site anyway. Perhaps I'll do that and capture the audio by itself too.
Please do! This would be another great piece of Xband history to put up on YouTube. :D
Agreed. I can make one, but it sounds like you'll get around to it before me. =P Besides, I don't have any interesting old data on my Netlink... only the new accounts I made a couple weeks ago.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

dbdrummer88 wrote:oh i hope there is! i would love to see a bombman video!!!
Im getting my netlink stuff in this week hopefully. maybe Warp and I can make some for us. Working on getting bomber
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

Got any videos of the Genesis Xband captured yet?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I haven't yet. I didn't forget either; I just haven't gotten around to it. Just FYI, the music in the SNES version is about 100x better than the music in the Genesis XBAND.

As far as I can tell, there's only 4 songs in the modem, but I believe there are only 4 on the SNES version as well. The 4 different songs are in:
-Boot and most of the menus
-Personal info entry screens (name, taunt, info, avatar, etc.)
-Other player name entry screen
-X-Mail compose screen

If there are different songs for the Bandwidth and XBAND news windows, I can't get to them, as there's no data on my XBAND for either of those categories.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Xband411

Post by Xband411 »

Wait, so you're saying there's different music depending upon which menu/area you're in? If so, that's different than the SNES too. I believe it only has 4 songs too, but they just continually loop no matter where you're at.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

thoudx wrote:Wait, so you're saying there's different music depending upon which menu/area you're in? If so, that's different than the SNES too. I believe it only has 4 songs too, but they just continually loop no matter where you're at.
Yes, but the SNES music loops through the four or so songs it has no matter where you are. Some of the songs for the Genesis can only be heard in certain spots, and none of them are especially good.

Anyway, I've verified that I have the ability to actually record the footage directly onto a video camera (not pointed at the screen, but directly from the Genesis output)... but to connect the camera to my Mac, I need to buy a FireWire cable. I'll check to see how expensive those are during my break at work tomorrow...
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Nope, I will not be purchasing one at Radio Shack. They wanted $37 for the FireWire cable, before tax. I'll purchase one online, thank you very much. I can get them for dirt cheap on certain websites.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Okay, I know this marks my third post in a row... sorry about that. But the thread doesn't get bumped when I update.

I ordered the FireWire cable I need to hook the camera to my computer. Provided everything works properly, I'll make the videos the day I get the cable.

(I only spent $1.60 on the cable before shipping or tax. Much better than Radio Shack's $37. I could have gotten it even cheaper, but I decided to splurge on the one with the gold connectors. Not because I think the gold connectors are better, but because I could.) :D
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote:Okay, I know this marks my third post in a row... sorry about that. But the thread doesn't get bumped when I update.

I ordered the FireWire cable I need to hook the camera to my computer. Provided everything works properly, I'll make the videos the day I get the cable.

(I only spent $1.60 on the cable before shipping or tax. Much better than Radio Shack's $37. I could have gotten it even cheaper, but I decided to splurge on the one with the gold connectors. Not because I think the gold connectors are better, but because I could.) :D
As far as I'm concerned, computer cabling has been saved the most by eBay. The markup on cables at all the big stores is pretty notorious, and finding cables, plugs and other computer parts on eBay for literally next to nothing is definitely a godsend. I'll never pay more than $5 for a cable again.
That's fly.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Actually, I used Amazon. Sometimes I'll find better prices there. *shrugs* I was already there, ordering a few books and DVDs that I'd had my eye on for a while, as well as a digital multimeter with a frequency monitor that I need for some of my electronics tinkering (I need it for the NetLink project in particular, but it'll be nice to finally own one, anyway).