Hi All. New and Wanna play NETLINK! Help

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
xDerekRx

Hi All. New and Wanna play NETLINK! Help

Post by xDerekRx »

Hi guys. Long time Saturn fan. Im 23 now but it was my favorite system growing up when I had it and still is.

Ive recently restarted collecting for my Saturn and the one thing I always regret never having played was the Netlink games. I would really like to experience this at least at some point in my life time!

So Id like to know what I need to get playing.

I live in Buffalo, NY , I noticed there are some of you in Rochester maybe we would have an ok connection?. Im willing to try any game with anyone.

I currently have Sega Rally/Virtual On/Duke Nukem that are compatible and Bomberman I plan on getting soon.

Please all let me know what I should get, then after that what I need to do to set it up.

Note I do not have any of the adapters or modems yet. So a link or idea of where to get a good priced one would be appreciated.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well, since you already have some games what you really need now is a NetLink modem itself and a phone line. Playing NetLink games via the NetLink doesn't use an ISP or any kind of an internet connection at all, it works by one NetLink/Saturn calling another and basically connecting the two via a phone line. Pretty cool and pretty simple actually.

You might also want to get a keyboard and a keyboard adapter. This will allow you to converse between games. You can type using an on screen keyboard and the control pad, but it's slow and clunky to use.

Oh, and long distance phone call fees will apply!
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Thanks Scooter. Ill order the keyboard adapter and netlink modem off Ebay and come back when im set up
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a NetLink, but the keyboard adapters can be harder to find. Also search on half.com and amazon.com, both good sources for retro gaming devices and games and often have more reasonable prices.
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

If your computer's near your Saturn, it's easier/cheaper to talk on a chat program than to use the Saturn. I got the Keyboard Adapter anyway, but more for my collection and testing purposes than anything else. (I actually bought the whole set... a Netlink, Keyboard Adapter, browser disc and the Saturn Mouse, but I only really was hunting for the mouse and keyboard adapter. It was cheap, though, so I can't complain.)

Make sure you have a REAL land line. Vonage and other digital phone services rarely work well, if at all.

The only US game that you didn't list which is also Netlink-compatible is the Netlink version of Daytona... it's very rare, and also very expensive because of that fact. I've never seen one for sale. Bomberman is findable, but it's quite popular, so it's pretty costly too.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp Ill have you know that I once owned a copy of Daytona Netlink. I found it for 5$ at a local game shop 3 years ago.

But I bought it, then somneone offered me 240$, kid you not, on digitpress.com forums.

I really never wanted to sell it as I wanted all the US releases but at the end of the day, do I care about that one game? I mean Ill never find people on netlink to play it, its daytona. Plus that 240 is way more than I thought it was worth so I used that $$ to buy some other cool rare Saturn games I always wanted.

I did load it up once just to say I played it. And off it went.

Also WARP. I noticed you live in Rochester. I live in Buffalo (not near the plane crash!) would our connection be ok? Its nice knowing that tehre are people close to me to test it.

Also I dont have a lan line anymore, we all use cellphone but ill sign up for a month of a service just to get my kicks out of netlink and maybe keep it if its fun and worth it.

Ill order up the stuff tonight.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, it's still going to be a long-distance call, as we won't have the same area code. However, usually (but not always), being geographically close to the other player helps the connection. I've only successfully played with one person so far, and he lives in Texas. (I tried to play with one other person who was using a digital phone line, but the connection wasn't stable enough.)

Too bad you still don't have Daytona. :(
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp2063 wrote:Well, it's still going to be a long-distance call, as we won't have the same area code. However, usually (but not always), being geographically close to the other player helps the connection. I've only successfully played with one person so far, and he lives in Texas. (I tried to play with one other person who was using a digital phone line, but the connection wasn't stable enough.)

Too bad you still don't have Daytona. :(
Ha Warp, you gotta agree you wouldnt have passed up the offer I got... although the true collector would. I just saw it as a way I could buy 3-4 other rare RPGs for saturn.

I just noticed you have the game, making at least 1 person that has it. I hope to find it again some day if I still do netlink.

Im working on getting Bomberman off Ebay. Its at 35. Im ok with spending up to 55 for it. If you consider most people pay 60+ tax for new PS3 games they want to play, I consider it like buying a new Saturn game I want to play.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well, I've owned a copy of Daytona CCE NLE since back in the day and I've been offered silly money for it but I've kept it. I've yet to actually see one for sale, it can be a bugger to locate!
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Great make me feel guilty! JK

I think even though Sega didnt release alot of Netlink games, at least they gave a fun variety. You get a fighting game, 2 racing, a FPS, and a puzzle game.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I hope you can find Bomberman in that price range. Most of the auctions I watched for it went up to at least $80, if not higher.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Warp, the one I watched just ended at 40$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0292436973

It was complete and sounds like good condition.

Like a lazy moron I ended up forgetting when it ended and lost it. So Ill keep looking. But if youre right I probably missed out on a good deal. Theres another one one there Im going to take a chance at .
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

That's impressive. I've never seen one sell that low before... but then again, sometimes you get lucky on eBay.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

About 3 years ago I was able to buy Bomberman at $30 from ebay, disc only. Crazy what it's going for nowadays, and even $30 for a standalone disc is too much.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

To Warp, whomever.

What carrier for phone do you suggest? My family, we all use cell phones now and got rid of our Land service a year ago. But my dad wanted to get something for Fax machine anyway.

But might as well get the best one that works with netlink at the same time as any phone line will work with a fax.

So maybe some of you that have been succesful using their netlinks can give me an idea of what provider you have and maybe what plan for long distance works best.