What is everyone playing?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
xDerekRx

What is everyone playing?

Post by xDerekRx »

Just to keep things moving until I get me damn phone hookup in, What Saturn games have you all played lately?

Last game I played was:

Primal Rage! Fun fighter

Before that I beat Panzer Dragoon for the first time!
Manji

Post by Manji »

last couple of games i've been playing were Loaded and Shining the Holy Ark. it's hard to find time to finish them, but i usually i play games on the weekends or sometimes a few hours during the week.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I'm actually not actively playing a Saturn game right now. The most recent one I was really into, however, was Sonic Jam. I also played some Panzer Dragoon.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The last Saturn game I played was Panzer Dragoon Saga. One of the best games I've ever played.
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I just played DOOM for the Saturn. I got a sealed copy for 7 and its one of my top 10 all time games.

So youd think Doom being a Top 10 game and Saturn being my favorite system would be a match made in heaven.

Im not sure if anyone here has played the Doom Saturn version but its so upsetting. The frame Rate runs at a crawl. It includes Doom 1 and 2 but how hard could it have been to convert a playable version of Doom to the Saturn! Heck the Duke Nukem version for Sat was considered the best home port. So this let me down :(
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Funny, the 32X version of DOOM plays really well. The PS1 version of DOOM is my favorite of all the versions I've played.
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Scooter wrote:Funny, the 32X version of DOOM plays really well. The PS1 version of DOOM is my favorite of all the versions I've played.
Yeah, 32x version runs better! PS1 version is solid home port. Xbox Live Arcade probably the best one Ive seen but thats obvious.

But how the F$%$ they screwed up the Saturn port is beyond me. It comes with Ult Doom and Doom 2 so it has the content but the frame rate is so bad its hard to enjoy. I curse GT. I think they rushed this port. Only thing I can think of. Cause I Hexen, Powerslave, Duke Nukem, much more involved FPS ports run like a dream. I figure they just said F it and released it.

Im bidding on the Japanese version of Saturn Doom on Ebay. Apparently they fixed the frame rate. I have to play this so I can at least take solice that my favorite system doesnt have complete the worst version of one of my favorite games :(
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Nothing lately... I'm studying. =)

But I will soon! ^^'
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
MAXIMUSpowers

Post by MAXIMUSpowers »

Yeah Doom is rotten! I really dont know how they ruined it! Ill have to have a look at the Jap version.
Netlink Games:
Daytona
Duke Nukem

Currently developing a 3D racing game for the Saturn with Rockin B. If anyone would be interested in coding Netlink support, contact me
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

MAXIMUSpowers wrote:Yeah Doom is rotten! I really dont know how they ruined it! Ill have to have a look at the Jap version.
I assume the PAL version you guys got was the same as our NTSC one.

The only thing I can think of is they simply rushed the game in beta stages to the market. Saturn was dieing and they probably said who cares. You can tell because on the back it says 60 levels when there isnt and it also says 2 players but there isnt :)

However the Japanese version I was reading fixed all the issues and was released later on. It even has the 2 player link capabilities like the US version advertised on the back.

MAX please dont bid on the Ebay.com Jap Doom thats listed right now, Im bidding on it myself =)
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Well for those looking to get Japan version of Doom may have to pay. The one I was going to bid on ended at 41$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0364855728

I did notice something odd. The first time I played Doom Saturn I was so let down I had to stop playing the game after 4 levels. I picked it up 3 days later and for some reason I stopped caring and it was actually very playable. Maybe my eyes adjusted to the frame rate. I beat the first 20 or so before moving on.
Manji

Post by Manji »

were you the high bidder?
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:were you the high bidder?
no i bid 20
Manji

Post by Manji »

you do have a way to play import games on your saturn though, right? i wouldnt have guessed doom could have gone for that $41 price actually. seems kind of expensive, but if they fixed all the slowdowns and stuff, i guess it would be worth it to own. i generally dont like to pay more than how much a game cost when it was first released unless it's just really rare or worth the money.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Manji wrote:you do have a way to play import games on your saturn though, right? i wouldnt have guessed doom could have gone for that $41 price actually. seems kind of expensive, but if they fixed all the slowdowns and stuff, i guess it would be worth it to own. i generally dont like to pay more than how much a game cost when it was first released unless it's just really rare or worth the money.
You need to buy a Action Replay 4 in 1 cart. It goes in the back of your system.

Ask Warp for the link. Its only like 25 $ but its worth it.

But I think Doom Jap went so high due to none ever being on Ebay. Ill wait it out and pay 20-25.

Its a game where language is no issue at all. And for some reason every time I play the "unfinished" Doom US version I enjoy it and get used to the frame rate.