What phone company do you guys use?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
EliteKiller234

Re: What phone company do you guys use?

Post by EliteKiller234 »

You don't need an internet account for the netlink.
You don't, but I do...
A true gamer plays all!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

How so? The Netlink when used for gaming does not connect through the internet. It directly dials the second Saturn.
Game collection on my site.
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:How so? The Netlink when used for gaming does not connect through the internet. It directly dials the second Saturn.
I was talking about the Brower CD...
A true gamer plays all!
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I wasn't clear in my first post. When I quoted you it seemed like you thought you needed an ISP fot Netlink games. You don't. Sorry about the mix up.
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Yeah I wasn't clear in my first post. When I quoted you it seemed like you thought you needed an ISP fot Netlink games. You don't. Sorry about the mix up.
It's all good! I actually thought you needed a ISP for NetLink games, so you were right about that one. I have no experience with NetLink games, so I just assume it uses the ISP to connect.
A true gamer plays all!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

EliteKiller234 wrote:
JerryTerrifying wrote:Yeah I wasn't clear in my first post. When I quoted you it seemed like you thought you needed an ISP fot Netlink games. You don't. Sorry about the mix up.
It's all good! I actually thought you needed a ISP for NetLink games, so you were right about that one. I have no experience with NetLink games, so I just assume it uses the ISP to connect.
Nope, it was a direct-dial system, no ISP needed. Player one's modem directly dials player two's modem, and NetLink gaming ensues. At least in theory. :wink:
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Yeah not a lot of people are familliar with modem games. In the mid 90's sure but not now anyway. I'm only familliar with them because I used to play Age of Empires with my friend that way.

The only thing you need to worry about is the long distance charges. A lot of people with traditional phone lines seem to have free long distance though. I should talk to the phone bill payer into seeing what we'd have to do to get some unlimited long distance.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:The only thing you need to worry about is the long distance charges. A lot of people with traditional phone lines seem to have free long distance though. I should talk to the phone bill payer into seeing what we'd have to do to get some unlimited long distance.
Really? It seems to be the other way around to me. Most people with digital phone lines get free long distance, because calls are routed over the internet rather than through a phone line. People with traditional analog lines usually have to pay for their long distance.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Yeah not a lot of people are familliar with modem games. In the mid 90's sure but not now anyway. I'm only familliar with them because I used to play Age of Empires with my friend that way.
I never did modem to modem although I do know what your talking about. I'm sure most of us remember having a computer with a turbo button and having a B drive :lol:
A true gamer plays all!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

EliteKiller234 wrote:
JerryTerrifying wrote:Yeah not a lot of people are familliar with modem games. In the mid 90's sure but not now anyway. I'm only familliar with them because I used to play Age of Empires with my friend that way.
I never did modem to modem although I do know what your talking about. I'm sure most of us remember having a computer with a turbo button and having a B drive :lol:
Mine had a spot for the Turbo button to go, but no actual Turbo button, and instead of a B drive, we had a D. :D Hooray for high-tech in 1994!

... Later on I got an old machine off someone else, and it had both the B drive and a turbo button. =P
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

Later on I got an old machine off someone else, and it had both the B drive and a turbo button. =P
LOL! I missed those! I want one just to play Doom95 on it with the option of choppy or normal speed! xD

and wow a D drive! that's pretty sweet in its time!
A true gamer plays all!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

In fact, I still keep around two 200MHz machines for compatibility purposes. I used to have a ~20MHz machine and I think a 66MHz machine as well, but my dad sent a lot of my old electronics to the recycling center a few years back. Oh well. At least I can run most of my really old stuff on the 200MHz machines, anyway. Most.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I miss the old modem games myself. Played Duke Nukem, Doom, Nam back in the day with my friends who lived a few streets over.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

One of my fondest old game memories was X-Wing for DOS. Fantastic game. My friend had a sound blaster already, but he finally got hold of enough RAM to bring his computer up to 4 MB. With a bunch of tweaking, we managed to get Extended Virtual Memory up and running, with which we were able to turn on DIGITIZED SPEECH! It was the most amazing moment, hearing the characters actually speak!

Here's a YouTube link to a video of the opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7556v0X6SQI
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED