New netlinker needs help!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Peteo

New netlinker needs help!

Post by Peteo »

Hello, i live in England and want to play Netlink games. I have a few questions i would be really happy if you could answer:
1.Do i need to buy a NTSC system because there never seem to be PAL games for sale?
2.If i bought a PAL console and a Netlink device from the USA, would this work?
3.If i had a NTSC system and netlink, would i be able to say play against people with a PAL connection in my country?

Thanks in advance :)
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

1) Perhaps. I can't remember if there are any PAL Netlink games or not, but they would not compatible with the NTSC versions. At the very least, you need the ability to play the NTSC Netlink games, which means either buying an NTSC console or finding a way to play imports on your own system that doesn't require the cartridge slot. If you have a PAL console, I believe the only solution is modding the system... I don't think a swap trick will work well enough.

2) The Netlink will work in a console from any region, but the games won't. You'll need the NTSC versions of the games to play with the rest of us. Sorry. :(

3) For the same reasons I listed above, I don't believe it's possible to connect a PAL version of the game with an NTSC version of the game. (There would most likely be an issue related to the different framerates... the Netlink's synchronization methods are tied into this.) A console can be changed to believe it's from a different region, though.

Welcome to the forums!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Here is a thread worth looking at, I answered a lot of questions in regards to this in this thread and should contain most or all of the information ou might need:

http://saturnleague.com/mxbb/index.php? ... =viewtopic

You will definately need a way of playing US released games as there are no PAL Netlink games as it was never released in Europe :(

Cheers
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)