SMS, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, or Dreamcast

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.

SMS, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast?

SMS
9%
Genesis/Mega Drive
64%
Saturn
27%

Total votes: 11

Trip Mercy

SMS, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, or Dreamcast

Post by Trip Mercy »

Which was your first SEGA system, and which is your favorite (obviously this is a Saturn page so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone said Saturn, but just thought I'd ask anyway)?

My first system was the Genesis back in 94 or 95. I was only 4 or 5 years old, it was for Christmas. I wanted one so bad but didn't get one, so everyone chipped in, went and bought me one and then they tricked me into thinking it was Santa Claus. It was the core 2 system. I still have the same one a play it often (my playstations on the other hand don't hold up so well :cry:).

My favorite? Well I have to say the DC. The game selection is great, I have way more fun playing it than any other console I've ever played. It's that arcade feeling I guess.
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

sorry, the poll was supposed to have dreamcast on it too
Manji

Post by Manji »

this is a terrible question. it's like asking which is your favorite child! :lol:

my first owned Sega system was the Genesis. i had a friend back in the day who owned a SMS, so i did get to play it quite often even though i didnt have one. i didnt pick up my Saturn until late last year and i've had about 4 or 5 Dreamcasts. i can tell you i've never had any problems with Sega systems either. the hardware has always been very reliable.

as for my favorite... i'm gonna have to say the Genesis. it really marked a great time in my life for video games. everything was really great back then and the 8, 16-bit technology era was amazing to be apart of.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Ha, I got my systems in this order: Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis. I've owned my Dreamcast the longest, for probably a year and a month or two now. My Saturn I got only a couple weeks later. The Genesis I've had for... maybe half a year now? I've never owned a Master System.

Either the Saturn or the Dreamcast would have to be my favorite. Tough choice.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I got all the systems in order

Sega Genesis
then
Sega Saturn
then
Sega Dreamcast

In order of favorite (although its not really fair, they all rock and I play them all regularly)

Sega Saturn
then
Sega Dreamcast
then
Genesis

(Sega CD/32x/Gear honorable mentions)
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Actually, a more accurate order for my Sega system acquisition (from earliest to most recent) would be:

Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis (with 32X and CD), Saturn, Saturn, Dreamcast.

My first Dreamcast I got because I was without any of my consoles (although I did have my handhelds), bored, had money, and remembered the awesome experiences from my teenage years when playing on other peoples' Dreamcasts. Also, there were games I'd never played that I wanted for it.

My first Saturn I got for several reasons: I wanted to help out with some of the goals of the NetLink League, the system kind of impressed me, and I was thinking of writing programs for it eventually.

The Sega Genesis/CD/32X I got so that I could play Pier Solar (which still hasn't come out yet). I also kind of wanted the Sonic games. More recently I've gained interest in the XBAND as well.

The second and third Saturns I got because I wanted a Model 2 for modding and so that I could do some NetLink testing between two systems. I happened to bid on two eBay auctions, and ended up winning both of them... whoops. Well, at least I've got spares.

And the second Dreamcast was handed to me yesterday by one of my brothers. I'd had almost no plans to buy a second one, but hey! Free Dreamcast!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

I got my sega genesis model 2 for my 4th birday in 92. Still after 17 years it works perfectly. I have only recently (about 5 years) acquired the rest of SEGA's lineup, with both versions of the sega cd, the 32x, powerbase converter and model 1 genesis, gamegear, dreamcast, and of course the saturn. I am still on the hunt for a decetly priced nomad and thinking of getting a cdx.
Sega needs to get back in the hardware market. With all the recently put out games (besides sonic) they have been doin a great job. I think that they are turing themselves around and hopefully will be back on top soon :)
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I, for one, would LOVE to see a new Sega console. But they're so expensive to develop, and they'd have to compete against a probable three major consoles. As sad as it is, I somehow doubt Sega will try again on that anytime soon.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

New Sega console would bring tears to my eyes. I was actually talking about this on another forum. Aint ever going to happen. Maybe if a new technology company like Apple wants to make one and put Segas name on it.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

Well I want to start a software company and eventually create hardware with some SEGA support I have some neat designs so far. I don't have the money though. Not yet, anyway.
Manji

Post by Manji »

as much as i love Sega, they are a shadow of their former selves. it's a big business venture for any company and i dont think Sega has the resources for a new system (R&D departments, the manufacture and distribution, advertising, appealing to the 3rd party game developers again, etc.). on the bright side though, Sega does have the name recognition still. they might not be the same company anymore but they've still got a great legacy behind them.
Trip Mercy

Post by Trip Mercy »

Agreed, they are the number one leading third party for the Wii, so if you want a Dreamcast 2 just get a Wii
grolt

Post by grolt »

Not a single comment on the Master System? For shame! That system rocks the casbah! It's a great system to collect for, since there are only 114 US games, and the packaging looks uniform and really great on the shelf. It's almost all first-party SEGA games, which means the quality is really good throughout the library. Not a lot of duds like there are on the Genesis or Saturn. Couple that with awesome innovations like the Sega Card or the 3-D Glasses, and pound for pound the Master System owns all! I've got a complete US collection and am nearing complete Japanese and European collections too. Over 300 games in all so far.

The Saturn for me is neck and neck with the Master System as SEGA's finest console when you weight in the strength of the first-party library and the innovation of the system and peripherals. It was the first system I bought entirely with my own money, saving up a summer of ice cream selling just to be able to have it delivered on "Saturnday". My biggest gaming highlight I think was biking to Sears to pick it up and then opening the package to see all the cool goodies inside the box, like Virtua Fighter and that Choice Cuts demo disc. I watched that demo movie on loop for hours! It truly was a new frontier in gaming.

I bought the Dreamcast day and date as well, this time on the famous 9/9/99 date. That was a real blast too, although I had the benefit of renting an early demo system with Sonic Adventure from Roger's Video previously that summer. I couldn't believe how good the textures looked in Sonic Adventure. I spent a lot of time just sort of zooming the camera into the grass textures to just marvel at how real it all looked. It was a solid system and SEGA really created a winner, but the follow through just wasn't there. I often feel cheated by SEGA for how the abandoned it, even compared to the Saturn. At least with the Saturn we got some amazing final games as a parting gift.

That said, to answer the original question, my first system was naturally the most popular Sega system, the Genesis. My parents almost bought me a Master System back in the eighties, but went with the NES because it was more supported. The next system we got was actually the SNES, but the summer after that they had the Genesis cheap with the Sonic bundle, so that was my first plunge. I never really played the system much compared to the NES and SNES, mainly just for the Sonics and Street Fighter II. Now I'm slowly starting to discover the delights of RPGs on the system like Landstalker and the Phantasy Stars, but there's still a lot of shit to sift through.
That's fly.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

300 games just in SMS grolt?? HOLY CRAP!!!! Over my 15 systems (including handhelds) I only have about 230, 300 is an insane number for one system. Hope that you can finish off that collection and maybe post some pics???
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
grolt

Post by grolt »

dbdrummer88 wrote:300 games just in SMS grolt?? HOLY CRAP!!!! Over my 15 systems (including handhelds) I only have about 230, 300 is an insane number for one system. Hope that you can finish off that collection and maybe post some pics???
I've devoted most of my time to the Master System as of late, but I've got a good 100+ games for the Saturn, 50 or so Genesis games, 30 Sega CD, 30 Dreamcast and a near complete set of 32X games. Most people in North America don't realize that the Master System had a huge life outside of the continent, with thriving markets in Europe and Brazil. The Game Gear is essentially a portable Master System, so really the SMS had a lifespan longer even than the NES, with the last game coming out in 1997. That's 11 years since the launch of the system!

I don't have any new pictures of the European or Japanese parts of the set, since they aren't complete yet and I don't want to go to the trouble of taking them out, but here are some pictures of the US set:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

I need to take some Saturn pics, too, but again, it just doesn't feel right to do so until I get the last first-party game I need...Daytona NetLink. ;)
That's fly.