Brought Out Some Old Games That Don't Challenge The Same

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Trip Mercy

Brought Out Some Old Games That Don't Challenge The Same

Post by Trip Mercy »

So today I busted out some Genesis games like Jurassic Park, and X-Men. I remember these games used to be really difficult when I was younger and I just loved them to death. I haven't played them for some time and I was never able to beat either of them, but today I beat them both. They just weren't what I remembered. Any body else ever have that problem?
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Yeah but sometimes I look at it positively. When youre a kid, you have all the patience in the world. I used to love all these games people hated because the controls were bad or the game was frustrating. But as a kid that wasnt an issue. Now I kinda like being a little better at games.

Speaking of Jurassic PArk. Ive been playing Lost World for Saturn, considered one of the most frustrating games and it certainly is. Very tough game the first play through but cool to look at.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've found the same thing - I used to have the patience for long load times, bad or awkward controls, or extremely difficult levels. Now, most of the time I just won't put up with it - I'll switch to another game, move to a different part of the game, or occasionally I'll cheat. I'll make exceptions if I'm in the mood or feel really strongly about a particular game... but I just don't have the same time to spend on things that I did in the past... or maybe I have the same amount of time, but more tasks and goals to divide that time between.

And as it's been said... there are some games that I can easily beat now, that in the past would have been nearly impossible for me. Over the years, my skill with video games has improved, as has my skill and knowledge in all kinds of things. Part of it is a product of growing up, part of it is practice.

Either way, I don't feel that I play video games as often anymore. I still play them a lot, but the time I spend is more... fragmented, now, and less in-depth.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

i think practice has a lot to do with it as well. playing games back in the day and as a kid was still a new experience, but with the more games played over the years we tend to pick up skills and learn from our mistakes and generally look at the game different in what we can do to get around a particularly difficult part.
grolt

Post by grolt »

Warp2063 wrote: Either way, I don't feel that I play video games as often anymore. I still play them a lot, but the time I spend is more... fragmented, now, and less in-depth.
I'm in the same boat, which is why I often prefer playing 8-bit titles since the simplicity and brevity of most games allows me to play through the entire game in only an hour or two whenever I do get a spare moment. It's tough to have to really invest in a game when there are such long periods between sittings. There have been several RPGs that I left midway through because of work, only to come back a few months later realizing I was completely lost.
That's fly.