Resident Evil

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.

Old School or New School?

RE 1
18%
RE 2
27%
RE Code Veronica
18%
RE 3
No votes
Old School (all the above)
18%
RE 4
9%
RE 5
No votes
New School (4 and 5)
9%

Total votes: 11

Trip Mercy

Resident Evil

Post by Trip Mercy »

Res Evil has come a long way since it's PS1/Saturn days. I just played RE5 for the first time and it's not the same. It is TONS of fun, but not the same. I'm not sure which gameplay style I like better what do you guys think? RE 1-3 (including Code Veronica) or RE 4/5?
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

For me, lately its been RE4 + 5, mainly just because the games are a little easier. The origional games had those "crap your pants" moments because of the fixed camera's which made some great jump scares. But that is what helped to make the horror genere. Lately the games have not really been scarry at all. They are sill tons of fun, but its just not the same.
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think I've partially stated my position before... but I'm not terribly fond of horror games. There's only one I've ever really enjoyed, and that was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the GameCube. I have briefly played some of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4, as well as the demo for Resident Evil 5 (and maybe a third of to half of Doom 3, but it doesn't count as an RE game, just a horror)... and just couldn't really get into any of them. I'm not terribly good at shooter games in the first place, so when you put me into a situation where I have to react quickly, and it keeps making me jump, and I have limited ammo and visibility... I just can't do it. It's too frustrating most of the time. :(
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

i voted old school, all of the above option. RE4 is a great game, but I would definitely say i'm partial to the earlier part of the series, starting with RE1 the original. the PSOne and Saturn version are both great in their own respects but i think i prefer the Saturn version best.
dbdrummer88

Post by dbdrummer88 »

thats good to hear manji, i just bought re1 for saturn earlier today off ebay, hopefully will get it later this week, to tell you the truth i haven't actually played through the whole game even though i own it for playstation and the remasted version for gamecube :(
Netlink Games:
-Virtual On
-Duke Nukem 3d
grolt

Post by grolt »

It peaked at the second, getting rid of some of the clunky control of the first and really amping up the story, atmosphere and overall scares the second time around. I really liked Code Veronica, too, but after that the games just weren't the same.
That's fly.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

*shakes head*

I respect peoples opinions but come on. RE 4/5 really upset me. I mean they are fun little romps but Res Evil 123CV are real survival horror games! This is one of the best, deepest and coolest genres. Red Evil 4/5 killed that. It breaks my heart. Too linear.

This is a side rant but why are games so linear and easy these days? Gone are the days of actual exploration in a Silent Hill or RE game. Gone are the days of exploration in FPS games too!

#2 is probably the best old old. but Code Veronica for the Dreamcast was awesome.

Saturn version of RE is the coolest. It has Battle Mode exclusive!
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
grolt

Post by grolt »

xDerekRx wrote:Saturn version of RE is the coolest. It has Battle Mode exclusive!
Shame the graphics are so weak compared to the PlayStation Director's Cut. Those dithering pixels masking for transparencies are a real eye sore.
That's fly.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I'm glad that just about all of you are more fond of the "old school" games. Let me state first and foremost that I'm a HUGE Resident Evil fan. I love ALL of the old school games, whether it be 1, 2, 3, the Remake, Zero, or RE:CV. I just ran through CV about a month ago and I really enjoyed it. I think the series has been hijacked.

Don't get me wrong, 4 and 5 seem like good games by any measure, but they are not Resident Evil games. I loved those static cameras, puzzle solving, and the sense of atmosphere of the old ones. By the time the series had progressed to Zero, the graphics were out of this world on Gamecube. Take a look at those pre-rendered backgrounds in Remake and Zero- stunning.

About 2005 I got into the Outbreak games, and I think if one would like to know where the series could have gone, this is it, at least as far as the controls go. The tank controls were finally removed, and the camera system was reworked, allowing for panning. I actually still play online now, on the Japanese servers, with some friends as well as randoms.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight

Post by Nocturne_in_the_Moonlight »

I had to vote for RE2. I loved the first game a lot but when you start out in 2 there are more zombies in the very beginning than in the whole first game. The third game you get to leave the station, which was great, but I think 2 had the best marrying of puzzle, action and story.
I lost all my teeth in a deathmatch because... I'm straight teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies come and get 'em.

Duke 3D & Bomberman
katsujinken

Post by katsujinken »

It's hard to say I really enjoy RE4 for my Wii but it doesn't scare me like RE1 for GC does, I LOVE that game. So much so that a several weeks ago I considered picking up this copy for Saturn that was at my local used game store but I dithered (who would of thought I'd use the word dither twice in one day let alone twice in my first two posts) because I own the GC one which is unquerstionable superior and can I REALLY justify owning two different versions of the same game? Well I decided yes, yes I can but unfortunately it got snapped up like the day before I went back to the store to pick it up ..oh well, I bought Vay for SEGA CD instead.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

You need to play the original. Every aspect of the Remake was golden, and it's the vision that the creators originally had for Resident Evil, finally realized. But the original gives perspective on where the series came from, and really makes you appreciate how far much more advanced Remake was. But original is a great game in its own right. The layout is slightly different than REmake, and there's a lot of adventure to be had.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.