I am new and have a question

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
kiacan

I am new and have a question

Post by kiacan »

I was wondering if I need a land line. I want to use my cable modem and not dial-up for Net Link to work. I will probably get Net Link if I could use my cable modem.
Mytho

Post by Mytho »

The NetLink won't work with a VOIP service. The latency is too much for the NetLink to handle.

You need a landline to use the NetLink with any measure of success.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Kiacan isn't even talking about a VOIP service. Kiacan is talking about a straight cable modem.

The NetLink is a dial-up modem. There has, to my knowledge, never been any other network connecting device for it. Note that the Saturn came out in 1995, and at that point, consumer high-speed internet service was nearly unheard of. Those were the days of dial-up AOL (and other internet service providers). In fact, back in '95, I was one of the few people in my class that had internet (or even a computer) at home. I had never even heard of anything else being available to regular home consumers until probably around 1999, when a single one of my friends got RoadRunner. And his parents were loaded. 1999 was when the Dreamcast came out, and it DID have a broadband adapter for higher-speed connections... at least if you shelled out the extra cash for it. And that device wasn't even available until 2001.

So, no, you're not going to be able to find a network adapter for your Saturn. If you have a modem in your computer and the right software, you can make your computer act as a dial-up ISP for your Saturn's NetLink, but all that will enable you to do is use the PlanetWeb browser. The games require a direct land line phone connection to one other user.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hey to that extent we should be lucky that this service still works as opposed to servers!

In fact land line netlink connection is better than cable connection sometimes because its peer to peer.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

xDerekRx wrote:In fact land line netlink connection is better than cable connection sometimes because its peer to peer.
The problems are the very stringent connection requirements, and the dwindling number of people who still use analog land lines.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

xDerekRx wrote:Hey to that extent we should be lucky that this service still works as opposed to servers!

In fact land line netlink connection is better than cable connection sometimes because its peer to peer.
i like when the power is given to the game players themselves and the netlink is perfect in this regard. we can still play games without the intercession of Sega or the developers and its a good way to preserve the value and purpose of a netlink accessory.
Warp2063 wrote:The problems are the very stringent connection requirements, and the dwindling number of people who still use analog land lines.
i agree but as long as the landline exists and people are willing to play, the smaller number of people makes it a closer game community. and personally, i think its easy to connect with Netlink. if you have an analog phone line and the SS items required, you're ready to play.

i think more so a hindrance is the cost of long distance dialing. analog phone line is probably a standard issue service, so i dont know why people dont have it or choose to have it if they are interesed in playing netlink.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Well most people still have a regular land line but I know plenty of people that don't. My friends that are just moving into their own places don't have landlines because they've always had cell phones. Why pay two phone bills? My brother stopped using a landline about 5 years ago because he had a cell, his wife had a cell...so why pay three phone bills? Then his oldest son got to the age where he wants to start talking to friends so for his tenth birthday he got a cellphone too. Which I think is awful...his soft baby skull is probably absorbing tons of radiation and crap. What also bugs the piss out of me is my now 13 year old nephew has an I Phone! That little twerp has a better phone than I do! LAME! And the 8 year old an I Pod touch! His kids have way better crap than I do! At least I have a TG16 and a Virtual Boy!

But Landlines are still common enough...who knows for how long but it's not hard or expensive to get a landline, especially if you've got a great excuse to have one like playing Bomberman with someone four states away.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I just think it's ridiculous that kids are being given cell phones at such a young age. I didn't get one until I was 20 or 21. I'd never needed one before then, and it's still just a luxury to me. I don't need it for everyday life.

And that kid with the iPhone... that really irritates me. Parents spending that much money on something a kid is going to carry around and beat up... what is this world coming to?
JerryTerrifying

Well I hear children shouldn't use cell phones because it bakes their brains like little potatos as their skulls aren't thick enough to block most of it out and their brains aren't done developing. But since my brother didn't have a landline his son had his kids calling my brothers cellphone so he just bought him a cell phone of his own. And I believe the Iphone is a hand-me-down from when my brother upgraded to the newest baddest Iphone. But yeah that shit pisses me off too.

Like it makes sense why he has a cellphone, but I'm mad I don't have a nice phone. :/ I think it'd just be easier to have a landline for the kids to use. Because the other two are going to grow up one day too and want to yack it up with their friends. And the 8 year old having an ipod touch irks me too! He uses the skype feature all the time to call his older brother and parents...so it's almost like he's got his own phone too as long as he's near a wifi signal. Dumb nephews and their way cooler gadgets.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think my parents were very fair. They were willing to pay for a cell phone (within reason, for a birthday or Christmas), but we were/are fully responsible to pay our own bill. If we can't pay the bill, then too bad; we can't use the phone.

It probably helps that all of us (kids) use pre-paid phone plans, so if we fail to pay, there are no penalties; we just lose service. It would become a lot more complicated if we were on a subscription plan. Cost is another bonus - I pay a little more than $7/month after tax, and I don't even use all of my minutes. As long as I add more minutes before the service date ends, all my old minutes roll over. (I actually pay in 90 day intervals... I pay $20 + tax for a 60 minute card, my phone is one of those double-minutes-for-life dealies, so that's 120 minutes, and with a couple minutes of browsing online, I can usually find a promotional code to add another 30 or 60 minutes to that... so 180 minutes for $20+tax. I guess technically I could only talk for two minutes every day (or two one minute phone calls), but since I don't use it very often, I rarely come close to the limit.

I do really want an iPhone, but there's no way I'm paying the outrageous subscription costs. I'm seriously looking into getting an iPod Touch, though. I don't use my old Palm Pilot much anymore, especially now that the digitizer's kind of messed up. An iPod Touch would pretty much cover the features of anything I'd want to carry around in my pocket (with the exception of cell phone), so it might be a decent investment for me. Not sure what I'll do with my 30GB iPod Classic though, if I do upgrade.
JerryTerrifying

I'm actually getting an iPod touch soon. I'm getting the 32gb 3rd generation one. The 8gb 3rd Gen is actually just a repackaged 2nd gen with the old hardware but current firmware.

I'd much rather have the iPhone for one reason. It has GPS. There's an app to track distance/pace while running. So that'd come in handy for me. I run marathons...so having something playing music and tracking distance/pace/elevation and crap would be super useful. Also the iPhone has a camera while the iPod touch doesn't. And it's cool to be able to use the internet while away from wifi.

My friend just got the newest iPhone. The phone was $300ish bucks and his monthly bill is $90. That's with unlimited internet, unlimited messaging and the absoloute bare minimum phone minutes. He, like myself, hates talking on the phone and almost never uses any minutes at all. The only time I talk on the phone is to my girlfriend because she loves yakking it up on the phone, which aggrevates the hell out of me. Because I'm like the exact opposite...I have tons of attention span and like only do one thing at a time. So when I'm on the phone that's all I'm doing so I end up feeling like it's a complete waste of time.

Back to my friend though $90 is less a month than his old service so he's actually saving a few dollars. if you add $20 bucks a month he could get unlimited nights and weekends...but why bother when you've got the worlds greatest protable communication device and can IM and Text anyone in the world or just use a skype app to make skype calls to completely circumvent any phone fees.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Oh, I'd much rather have the iPhone as well. I don't need the GPS, but it would be nice. And I'd really appreciate having the internet with me on the go, if just to look up songs that I hear. But if/when I do get an iPod Touch, it will definitely be at least the 32GB model. I was already aware of the repackaging thing. The camera would be nice, but again, I have other things that take pictures too.
JerryTerrifying

I had a nice phone until like last summer then it died on me so now I've got this doo doo phone with no camera and I'm always missing great pictures and videos because of it. So I'd really like to have the magic of an iPhone. And with the GPS in it I could say goodbye to mapquest/google maps forever. That'd be cool. And it'd be nice to have the GPS when I go on bike rides. I got on huge distance bike rides like 80+ mile day trips on my bike. so a GPS would be nice so I could go off the bike trails and explore some podunk little towns without worrying about getting lost or anything. Or go on bike tours and crap. My Dad's crazy millionaire friend goes on bike tours all the time...he rode his bike from Florida to Ohio for his Dad's birthday and stopped by to visit us. He was talking about how his little GPS was the greatest thing he's ever bought.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I think that the iPhone uses Google Maps for its GPS navigation...

Also, I don't know about taking it on long bike trips unless you have someplace to charge it.
JerryTerrifying

Yeah their battery life is shit. And the GPS is pretty battery intensive. But you don't have to leave it on or in GPS mode to have it with you.