N00b - Netlink & Disc Swaps?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Satony

N00b - Netlink & Disc Swaps?

Post by Satony »

Hi,

I am new here. I just dug out my old saturn and it still works like a charm. but most of my games suffered from age and the top layer of the disc are falling apart and my RF switch is acting up. Anyways I have since found out that I can do the disc swap and download backups of my games I had.

I never knew about this netlink untill a few days ago and now Im all hyped up about this but... I don't have any netlink games or the modem. I have found I can download a few netlink games but it requires me to do the swap deal.

Will these work with the netlink or will I have to hunt for the actual games on ebay?

I find it really nice that even though this is old, It' can still be used unlike PS2 where there are no games online anymore.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Someone on these forums tested it and found that backups of NetLink games do work with the modem. I can't remember whether or not they said there was another step involved in the disc swapping process or not, though.

And just in case you haven't read this yet: using the NetLink for multiplayer games requires that you have a working, non-digital/non-VOIP land phone line.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Satony

Post by Satony »

Thanks, We have old technology here and I have DSL with dial backup ISP. I don't think it would be a problem.

Does the netlink boot up before the sega logo appears on the screen?

If somebody wants to play a game with me over netlink (I have no long distance) if somebody else does and they dial me up I wont get charged correct?

And final question. I don't have the netlink modem yet but I have found them with or without the keyboard adapter... is that really a needed item?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The NetLink games boot up similarly to the other games. The part that I remember hearing might be a hiccup is after you select the NetLink mode. There's a chance that the Saturn resets again at that point, but I don't think so. I wish I could remember who tested it...

You'd have to check with your telephone service provider. Just because I've never heard of someone getting charged for a long-distance call on their land line when they're on the receiving end doesn't mean that such a plan doesn't exist.

No, you don't need the keyboard adapter. It's totally optional. It makes communicating with others via the after-game chat or using the web browser much easier though. If you don't have a keyboard plugged in, then you can simply use the on-screen one.

If you want to play with someone, it helps if they know where you're located. I think that two of us on this forum happen to live in the same area code, so they can connect without having to pay long-distance charges.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Manji

Post by Manji »

yea the keyboard/keyboard adapter, it's not really necessary to have because the only time you can chat is at the end of a game session, after both players manually quit the game. it might be good if that's the only way you and the person are playing with can talk, or if the person is too far away from their computer to chat comfortably without going back and forth. or sometimes its just fun because you're typing with a sega saturn. however, if you're asking about if you need it, then no, you really don't.
Satony

Post by Satony »

Thanks guys,

I have found a net link modem but Im trying to figure out if I should really buy one or not. I have dial backup with my DSL service and I am pretty sure it would work. But if it didnt, would the net link be easy to sell?

And if I were to play any games people would have to connect to me since I dont have outgoing long distance service.

I dunno what to do really. I guess its not really that important?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's definitely fun to play someone halfway across the country on a classic game system. :) While old, most of these games are pretty good.

NetLinks are bought and sold on eBay and other sites all the time. I don't think you'd make much of a profit reselling it, if any, but I don't think it would be hard to get rid of if you decided it wasn't for you.

If you have an analog phone line that you can take phone calls on (ie not with a VOIP or Vonage box attached), then your NetLink should work with it. As long as you're not the caller, you shouldn't have to pay any long-distance fees, theoretically. You'd know your phone plan much better than I would, anyway.

There are several people on the is site who have unlimited long distance who would probably be willing to play. Just give them a heads-up!