Can the Netlink do this?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
JerryTerrifying

Can the Netlink do this?

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I got a comment a while ago on my netlink video, some one said I should try something out. They suggested that if you've got two saturns and two netlinks you can hook them up directly. I don't think that's possible, but I figured I'd ask. You never know right?
Game collection on my site.
Manji

Post by Manji »

what does that mean exactly when you say, directly? like if someone is in the same room with two t.v.'s?
JerryTerrifying

Yeah I assume they mean having two Saturns, Two Netlinks, two tvs and a phone line connecting to two netlinks. That's what I took from it anyway. Kind of like a Link cable. This is the comment on my video.

"If you can there is one more feature you may want to cover. From what I understand, if you hook two Saturns together hooking the netlinks to one another directly, you can do local network play for that arcade no-split-screen feel. Good stuff. "

I don't think it will work but I figure I'd at least ask here. I do have everything needed to give it a try...but I'm lazy. :D Especially when I think it won't work.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

At that point you just need a link cable. Otherwise hooking up 2 Netlink modems in the same house will most likely have the same phone number thus a busy signal on one end

Link cable games do exist but are few. A funny little bonus on the Daytona Demo Disc is link cable play. I dont think you can do link cable on any other version
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

I think they meant directly connecting the modems together. Not through a phone line. But I did look at the back of the Saturn this morning and saw the link cable port.

Like I said I didn't think it would work...since it well just doesn't make sense. And there's a link cable port, maybe they're just confused and saw a link cable and thought it was a Netlink.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:I think they meant directly connecting the modems together. Not through a phone line. But I did look at the back of the Saturn this morning and saw the link cable port.

Like I said I didn't think it would work...since it well just doesn't make sense. And there's a link cable port, maybe they're just confused and saw a link cable and thought it was a Netlink.
No, it doesn't work. I've done a ton of research into this for my Saturn project. The dialing Saturn will not dial out unless it detects a dial tone. You can get around that in settings with the PlanetWeb browser, but there is no setting to get around that in the NetLink games. Not to mention the fact that many modems will not provide sufficient voltage over the phone line themselves in order to push data along. For that, you would need a line voltage booster. The NetLink is one of these... that's why I had to build one of my own to make my computer into an ISP for my Saturn.

On top of this, for the receiving Saturn to pick up, it has to receive around an 100V 60Hz AC ring signal to realize there's an incoming phone call. The Saturns will not provide this.

To do this direct connection, you would require a telephone line simulator to connect the two. They exist, but they're usually not cheap; especially the automatic ones. (You could use a manual one, but it would require you to time it out every time you wanted to dial up the other console.) I theoretically know how to build an automatic one for much cheaper, but I don't have the technical knowledge to finish the design. I'm trying to work with my EE friends to finish it up.

A PABX would also work, but they're many times as expensive as a simple telephone line simulator. They're usually used in offices and schools.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!