A potential NetLink alternative?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.

What name do you think would be best for this service?

SaturNetwork.
50%
Tele-2P.
17%
RetroLink.
No votes
S-BAND
33%
PlayerWeb
No votes

Total votes: 6

Auto-Fox

A potential NetLink alternative?

Post by Auto-Fox »

Now, I know this would take the magic out of it for most people, but I have an idea for a next generation direct dial system for the Saturn, and potentially other consoles.
Basically, it would allow for remote-control 2-player mode, rather than "true" online play. The upside is that it could work on all games, rather than just the five NetLink titles.
The theoretical hardware works like so.
A pass-through system would be plugged into the two controller ports on the front of the machine. This pass-through would be connected to a high-speed modem, which connects via phone-line (analog or digital) to a similar device used by the other player.
The modem would also have a video pass-through, going from the Saturn to the modem to the TV.
The modem would transmit video, sound and controller inputs to the other modem via a direct dial link. One Saturn would "host" the game, which would take place in 2-player mode. Video and audio from the host machine would appear on both televisions.
The "guest" Saturn wouldn't even have to be turned on! Controller inputs from the second player would automatically be routed to the host Saturn, and both players would see video and hear audio from the host as well.
The second player would not even have to own the game.
4-player games could use some kind of conference call.
Anyway, this is just a little theory I had, and would obviously require some custom hardware. But, what d'you guys think?
Also, if none of the names suggested in the poll above appeal to you, what would you call it?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

This would require some VERY custom hardware. You're basically talking about designing and constructing a whole new system that doesn't actually do anything other than relay signals back and forth. What you're describing is actually almost identical to the OnLive service which is already under development. (The difference being that the games run on their servers rather than a server in your home.)

Anyway, assuming the hardware actually existed (which would probably be expensive and require a team to design, build, test, and produce), the major problem I see existing is lag. It's difficult enough just to synchronize basic communications between the systems, let alone transmit a video/audio stream across the internet at a nearly instantaneous speed. Player 1 would be fine... but player 2 would suffer from the delay it would take for their signal to reach the host, the host to update, and the host to then transmit the video signal back. Both players would need extremely high bandwidths to make this possible, and we'd need an incredible data compression scheme. You definitely couldn't pull this off with an ordinary dial-up modem. Broadband would be a very minimum requirement.

Yes, it could theoretically be universal for any game and any system. OnLive claims they have the bandwidth and the data compression algorithms to pull this off, but would an ordinary home user have access to that same bandwidth to provide the necessary hosting for lag-less play?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Good points there...
Data compression WOULD be a problem. With cable or fiber-optic lines, it might not be so bad, but still.
Perhaps it could be simplified to just controller inputs, with both consoles working, but it would only work for games without randomized elements.
...damn, I didn't think this through very well.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I thought of one other thing that this is kind of like - Sony's LocationFree, although the difference with that is that it only streams audio and video, and not controller inputs.

If you were using two consoles, you'd also have to make sure they finished loading and started playing at the same time... :/

I've been planning on a project for a long time to make the NetLink (and hopefully the XBAND as well) playable over a broadband internet connection. I'm fairly certain it will work, but more testing is required first. Now that the holidays are more or less over, I have more free time to devote to this again.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Can you gimme an idea how it works?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't want to share specifics yet, but I'm working on creating a bridge between the NetLink modem and a broadband internet connection. For the most part, the connection will be possible with things that a NetLink user probably already has. I'm working on designing and building a cheaper telephone line simulator at the moment to help me with my research.
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Sounds pretty cool... though I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that would be done. Wouldn't the addition of another "box" (if that is indeed what this would entail when finished) just cause even more lag?
Still, if your work is successful it would be a pretty big thing for NetLink. You wouldn't have to worry about hunting for more expensive analog phone service...