Quake NetLink Support?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Auto-Fox

Quake NetLink Support?

Post by Auto-Fox »

My brother, an FPS fan trying to make his own games, has recently told me that the Quake port for the Sega Saturn MAY have had (possibly hidden or incomplete) NetLink support. My brother is a bit autistic, so when I pressed him for where he found this information, I didn't really get a straight answer, but he was very insistent that what he told me was true.
I'm wondering, does anyone here know anything about this? Was my brother making this up? Or is there some truth to this?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've never heard anything about it.

Perhaps he was thinking of DirectLink rather than NetLink? DirectLink used a serial cable to connect two consoles for multiplayer games.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Hm. That's probably what he meant then... ah well.
I'm still gonna see if I can track down Quake for Saturn.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I didn't put that much research into it; I don't know if Quake actually supported the DirectLink or not. I just saw both mentioned in the same place. I'd take it as a rumor at most, unless you find more solid information.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Well, I'll commit some time to this. That would be interesting if there's a "lost" NetLink title...
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Well Quake did come out Oct 1997 which is around the same time all the other Netlink games were released. So maybe it was going to have the feature? At least the time frame would make it a possibility.
Game collection on my site.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

As the self proclaimed resident Saturn FPS buff I can easily answer this for you :)

QUAKE FOR SATURN has NO netlink play, NO Directlink cable play and NO multiplayer whatsoever.

It was only a single player experience. It was unfortunate. Ive always thought about and wished Quake had at least DirectLink or even simple Splitscreen play let alone Netlink play. But alas. NONE. Its still a fantastic port and one of only two on the consoles (N64 version was good). It really showed off Saturns ability to do lighting and polygons well.

The only other FPS on the Saturn to even have a hint of Multiplayer (besides obvious Duke) is HEXEN which can only be accessed through Debug mode and its so buggy that its unplayable. Its done via DirectLink cable play with 2 systems and 2 hexens. It was a feature that was obviously never finished but cool that you could still access it. I started making a video for this as its interesting but unfortunately not playable.

Doom also advertised 2 player directlink play on the back of the box but was not actually included. The Japanese version of Doom however does include it. If I ever find another copy of Jap Doom Saturn for under 50$ I may try to make a video of this.

Otherwise Doom, Congo, Powerslave, Alien Trilogy, Quake etc have no mplayer at all. Just Duke netlink, Hexen debug and Doom Jap version.

Its unfortunate because the perk of FPS games back in their glory years was multiplayer.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Quake WITHOUT multiplayer? Well, that kinda sucks...
...can't say I'm surprised, though. That was a REALLY graphically intensive game. They probably couldn't spare the processing power for split-screen and a second character...
grolt

Post by grolt »

Your brother's confusion might be over the fact that Quake runs on the same engine as Duke Nukem 3D (which itself was a modified Powerslave) and thus theoretically could have transitioned to NetLink a little easier with Nukem's back end. Thus, it was not the case. That doesn't rule out the possibility for some lost code somewhere in the game, but I certainly haven't seen anything of it. As someone who played Quake when it first came out back in the day, the multiplayer maps were actually just the single player maps until QuakeWorld came out and introduced us to kickass levels like The Abandoned Base, etc. Online or not, though, it's a pretty swell port. To this day I still think there's no better FPS engine on a console than the one pioneered with Powerslave.
That's fly.
kevin1gamer

Post by kevin1gamer »

that would be cool