question for current Netlinkers...

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
NWA

Re: question for current Netlinkers...

Post by NWA »

he means he has a working analog telephone line, but doesnt have long distance calling. Land line is what people refer as there home phone line since its built in unlike a cell phone.
Better run home to momma now!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I know what a land line is. Here people use the word for "steady". "Steady telephone" is the known name here.

I mean the "no long distance" thing. My "steady" line can call anywhere in the world without restriction.

That's why I've asked about the billing plan. I know about restrictive billing plans. But denying a long distance call seems unlikely, because the user will pay for the call anyway.
So maybe is only the user's decision the whole "no long distance" thing.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

In the US, to make a long-distance call, you have to be signed up for a plan that allows you to make them. I don't know what happens if you try to make a long-distance call without actually signing up for a plan. I would assume that you'd get an error message and that it wouldn't connect. My father uses one service provider for local calls, and a different provider for long-distance ones. I don't think that this is a common choice, however.

I assume that most people who have long-distance service in their home use the same provider for both local and long-distance calls. As for digital phone services, I don't believe that they make any distinction between local and long-distance calls. Unfortunately, these do not work well with the NetLink.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
LostController

Post by LostController »

Rogue wrote:Sorry. What is a land line without long distance?
Is this about the billing plan?
Yea. It sucks being broke. :(
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh, I see.
Well, looks like that's a common option amongst americans. I've seen a lot of people saying, hey, I've got a landline but no long distance.

That's not an easy to spot plan around here. They usually let the user "make" all the calls, so they can pay for it when the bill arrives, of course.
I'm ready to play!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

That's the same here - it's the person who makes the call that usually pays for it (with the exception of cell phones, in which in many cases both people pay for it). But it is possible to have the ability to dial out locally without the ability to dial out long-distance. To receive calls from anywhere, you should just need local phone service.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Lol, I don't know if you are joking, but in case you didn't understood because of my engrish... of course the user that made the call pay the bills... I'm saying that the "long distance locked plan" is unusual, not the payment thing.
The stuff that matters is the "make the call", not the "pay for it".

*I've seen the receiver cell phone only paying when it's not in it's registered location (traveling, for example).
I'm ready to play!