question for current Netlinkers...

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
schuey

question for current Netlinkers...

Post by schuey »

is the actual netlink community still around like LEO or any of them..i havent fired up my netlink in years , for giggles factor i went looking today found this site.. i went by the name Fireman2 back in those days.. myself and a guy named Zonz1 used to have local or well some international Netlink get togethers here in cincinnati,ohio USA...im trying to think of the names.. dragon..rogue...zonz1..myself (fireman2)Edogg....heh the memories..i still have all my netlink gear just sitting in a drawer ill have to fire it up today see whats going on or if anything is around..would be intresting to play some of the old games now...

anyways take care..,
Fireman2 also went by the name Cyberjunkie
Go Right for Lights and Sirens
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

The NetLink works alright, given that it's a direct dial system that doesn't use servers. Still, you can't browse the web or use the forum on it anymore...
BUT, if you have a digital phone service, long-distance play is gonna be iffy at best. The modem can't handle the level of lag a digital relay generates (being designed for analog phone lines).
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Auto-Fox wrote:Still, you can't browse the web ...
That's absolutely not true. If you have a dial up service available you can still use NetLink to web surf. The Dreamcast can still be used too.
Daytona CCD: NetLink Edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Virtual On: NetLink Edition
Sega Rally Championship: NetLink Edition
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Scooter wrote:
Auto-Fox wrote:Still, you can't browse the web ...
That's absolutely not true. If you have a dial up service available you can still use NetLink to web surf. The Dreamcast can still be used too.
Well, some dial-up ISPs work. Certain ones require a level of security authorization that the Saturn doesn't know how to provide. Certain types of encryption and all kinds of accelerators are also incompatible.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Also, I imagine none of the Saturn browsers are compatible with Flash and such.
Vast sections of the web wouldn't be viewable.
Y'know, that'd be an interesting project, making an updated browser for NetLink... still, I don't know anyone who can program for Saturn.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Hey an Ohioan! I live in Dayton! And my girlfriend goes to UC so I'm no stranger to Cinci.
Game collection on my site.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Some of the old school NetLinkers are still around on IRC. After NetLink World went offline it became Dricas World, and then that got absorbed by Console City.

There's a thread with a lot of old NLers:

http://www.consolecity.com/forum/showth ... ?p=1485031

I don't post much but I troll here from time to time. I wish I had a land line so I can play some VO!
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

And there's a Facebook fan page now too:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/NetLin ... 0382029768
psychy

Re: question for current Netlinkers...

Post by psychy »

yeah, im a member of the facebook page too, however its not active at all which is sad. i decided to take a trip down memory lane and try and look up some old netlink friends from the days of netlink irc chat. i even registered for this site with my old netlink name "psychy" so if anyone i ever knew was registered here, theyd recognize me.
NWA

Post by NWA »

unfortunatley, this place is barely active either. maybe three people including me post regularly, but thats about it.
Better run home to momma now!
LostController

Post by LostController »

I'm new here and that is kinda depressing to know that the NetLink scene is not very active anymore. And I just got mine with Duke 3D. :cry:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's hard to make a connection these days unless you have everything you need. These days, very few people have analog (POTS) telephone service with long-distance capability.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
LostController

Post by LostController »

Yeah, I still have a land line but no long distance.
NWA

Post by NWA »

LostController wrote:Yeah, I still have a land line but no long distance.
Thats too bad, I would have taken a try to play with you in duke (my netlink is being crappy lately)
Better run home to momma now!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Sorry. What is a land line without long distance?
Is this about the billing plan?
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D