NetLink Compatible Websites

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Auto-Fox

NetLink Compatible Websites

Post by Auto-Fox »

I'm wondering. According to a few people, there are certain sites which can still be accessed by a NetLink modem.
Can anyone make a list of these sites? It would be a great way to "test-drive" a newly purchased NetLink, or simply get more functionality out of it besides playing games.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Any site can be accessed by a NetLink modem and the PlanetWeb browser. However, most of the common web standards today didn't exist (or existed in an earlier form) back when it came out. Because of this, many(most) websites won't display as intended by the site authors. Unfortunately, unless some aspiring Saturn programmer out there develops a better web browser for it, there's not much we can do. And the system requirements for different sites are so much higher now than they were back then... it's unlikely that the Saturn would even be capable of running Flash, even if someone managed to create support for it. That and it would take forever to load anything via a 28.8kbps modem.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
EliteKiller234

Re: NetLink Compatible Websites

Post by EliteKiller234 »

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Warp on that one. Saturn is best for gaming. If you have a Dreamcast or PS2, you can browse the web that way as well...
A true gamer plays all!
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

Well, I mean its hell loading sites on a european Dreamcast with 33k modem, too. I dont think its that bad ;D Not everyone has a broadband i-net connection. (Why are you looking at me?) Browsing websites with less than 120k is just nostalgic xD
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Isaac [GER] wrote:Well, I mean its hell loading sites on a european Dreamcast with 33k modem, too. I dont think its that bad ;D Not everyone has a broadband i-net connection. (Why are you looking at me?) Browsing websites with less than 120k is just nostalgic xD
Yeah, but back then you expected it, and pages were designed to require less bandwidth.
EliteKiller234 wrote:If you have a Dreamcast or PS2, you can browse the web that way as well...
Wait, you can browse the web on a PS2? I know you can on a PS3, but a PS2?
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

Warp2063 wrote:Wait, you can browse the web on a PS2? I know you can on a PS3, but a PS2?
Yeah, but It's better for UK users, the connection ping is off the roof for US! Mainly because the server is located in the UK lol.
A true gamer plays all!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I've never seen any browser software for the PS2...
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Me either. Well there was the ps2 linux kit.
Game collection on my site.
EliteKiller234

Post by EliteKiller234 »

Warp2063 wrote:I've never seen any browser software for the PS2...

That's because, it never hit the shores from Japan. EGBrowser BB is what the software is called. Then some UK web-designer made a web browser for PAL consoles, called Central Station. I never use it, because I don't live in the UK, and I get pinged out.
A true gamer plays all!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Weird that it has to connect to a UK IP...
xDerekRx

Re: NetLink Compatible Websites

Post by xDerekRx »

EliteKiller234 wrote:Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Warp on that one. Saturn is best for gaming. If you have a Dreamcast or PS2, you can browse the web that way as well...
I think this is understood. Viewing webpages on your Saturn would be more of a "cool look what the Saturn can do" type of thing.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

That's pretty much what I meant.
What I'm asking is, what are the MOST compatible pages that the Saturn's PlanetWeb browser can view?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Pretty much anything that is in plain HTML, with no flash, very limited/old Javascript, and no CSS. Images should probably be GIF. No large images.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I havent used the browser yet. My brother works for a dial up ISP company so I might give it a try someday.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!