sega saturn modem

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
segasaturndude

sega saturn modem

Post by segasaturndude »

so im thinking of getting a sega saturn modem, do you need internet to play? or do you just hook it to a modem? i havnt gotten the sega saturn yet but i want one to complete my early 1990's themed bedroom
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Well, the Sega Saturn is mid-1990's... if you wanted to be more accurate, you'd probably choose the Genesis. =P

The Netlink modem plugs directly into the Saturn, and then you plug an analog phone line into that. You feed it the phone number of the person you want to play with, and it dials their Saturn's Netlink modem up. It doesn't use the internet to connect to the other Saturn - just a phone line. And as I said, it needs to be an analog phone line. Digital phone services like Time Warner or Vonage will not work with the Netlink. Also, each player will need a copy of the same Netlink-compatible game, of which there are five:

-Sega Rally Championship (Netlink Edition)
-Virtual On (Netlink Edition)
-Daytona CCE (Netlink Edition)
-Saturn Bomberman
-Duke Nukem 3D

Good luck!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

i wanted to ask, im gussing the sega saturn's planetweb browser works seeing that someone on here took pictures of them viewing this website on it? does the email for it still work?
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

The mail still does work, provided you're working with a standard POP3 server. The browser will still work as well, at this point it's not good for a whole lot. It's nostalgic for a few minutes, worth a little time to set it up.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The internet browser does require that you have a dial-up ISP (internet service provider). Note that many dial-up ISPs today require encryption or compression that the Saturn doesn't support. I managed to make a temporary ISP using an old computer, a modem, and a device I built myself, but other than for the initial "cool" factor, it's too slow and too incompatible with most sites to be worth using.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Could you describe your set up and the device you built in a little more detail?
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:Could you describe your set up and the device you built in a little more detail?
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php

This is the guide that I followed. The only difference is that I connected a Saturn instead of a Dreamcast. Setup for the Saturn is very similar to the Dreamcast, but you may have to search for certain settings.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Ahh that was actually the first thing that popped into my mind when reading that last post of yours.
Game collection on my site.
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

well i found what it looks like a phone line in my bedroom which i never knew what it was till now, i got a phone jack and connected it to the wires, now all i need to do is get a seperate phone company from my dads comacast digital modem and or dial up so i can use the sega saturn and its web browser. what telephone company provides analog phone service? or let me refraise that, what telephone company is known to work with netlink? i would also like to get the earthlink dial up service so i can play the dreamcast and other systems with dial up
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Be nice to get some more people to have games with. I havent played in like 6 months since me and Manji had a good run.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Manji

Post by Manji »

i know guys, im a total slacker :lol:

man we'll get some games going again. i definitely haven't abadoned this place or anything. i always visit.

i just thought more people might pick up and play and post their experiences.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

segasaturndude wrote:well i found what it looks like a phone line in my bedroom which i never knew what it was till now, i got a phone jack and connected it to the wires, now all i need to do is get a seperate phone company from my dads comacast digital modem and or dial up so i can use the sega saturn and its web browser. what telephone company provides analog phone service? or let me refraise that, what telephone company is known to work with netlink? i would also like to get the earthlink dial up service so i can play the dreamcast and other systems with dial up
I don't know what companies you have in your area. Just make sure to check with your local providers to see if they offer analog phone service. Unfortunately, analog phone lines are usually more expensive than digital, especially for long-distance phone calls (like when you're playing NetLink with someone who isn't in your area code). As for dial-up internet, again, you'll have to check providers. Often they'll have a list of things that they're not compatible with in their FAQ sections. Just a heads-up, if it's not compatible with the Dreamcast, it's definitely not compatible with the Saturn.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Warp2063 wrote:I don't know what companies you have in your area. Just make sure to check with your local providers to see if they offer analog phone service. Unfortunately, analog phone lines are usually more expensive than digital, especially for long-distance phone calls (like when you're playing NetLink with someone who isn't in your area code). As for dial-up internet, again, you'll have to check providers. Often they'll have a list of things that they're not compatible with in their FAQ sections. Just a heads-up, if it's not compatible with the Dreamcast, it's definitely not compatible with the Saturn.
What are you talking about, especifically?
If you can connect by the Windows via Dial-up you can connect via the PlanetWeb. Just try that first.

But if you "need" that application they call "dialer" so you can't.
In fact, even with the ISPs that force you to download the damn dialer you can use the username and password and Dial-up, the main problem is to know the phone number hidden by the dialer.

The only issue that we know with the PlanetWeb is the SMTP, outgoing email server. The POP3, ingoing email server, works right.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D