Just one question about the netlink

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Chaosomega

Just one question about the netlink

Post by Chaosomega »

I have recently bought the sega netlink and I was wondering if it could dial out on magic jack.. Or do I have to plug a phone into it then into the phone jack.. Its just a thought though cuz soon I am going to be living out in the country where cable internet is not a reality but a dream.. So in four months time I will be moving. So my question is will it work with magic jack? lol.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's not very likely. MagicJack is a digital phone service, and most digital phone services do not work well, if at all, with the NetLink. I don't have a MagicJack myself, so I don't know exactly what it's like, but I saw one in a store once. As I remember, it plugged into a USB port on your computer. There would also be a port on it to plug a phone into - that's where you would plug in your NetLink modem. MagicJack also requires that your computer be connected to the internet - I'm sure through a high-speed internet connection.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

darn

Post by Chaosomega »

So I guess any digital service is going to make the netlink not work.. Guess i'll have to go old school and a find a carrier with unlimited long distance when dialing out for other saturns. Can I ask why doesnt digital service work for dial up service for such things as this.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

This question gets asked a lot. I'm considering writing up a comprehensive FAQ and asking the admin to sticky it. For now, here's a link to one of my other responses on the subject.

http://saturnleague.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=596

I will say this - NOT ALL digital phone services will not work. Someone did prove me wrong once. But I haven't heard of other successes recently.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

hm

Post by Chaosomega »

I see warp well thank you, perhaps I can test it when the time comes for magi jack lol I also understand to surf the web you gotta pay for the net service such as aol to surf the web and dial up with them is dirt cheap. I hear the web browser with sega saturn netlink is still functional!? Is this true if it is simply amazing!!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Yes, the Planetweb Browser on the Saturn still works, but it requires a dial-up ISP. Not all ISPs are compatible, as many require forms of authentication or compression that either didn't exist or weren't popular back when the NetLink came out. Also, while the internet has evolved over the past 15 years, the Planetweb Browser has not. Many websites will not display properly, as Java was very new, Flash didn't exist, and web pages required very little memory.

I have no idea if AOL was compatible or is compatible with the NetLink now.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

I've tried it with a magic jack and it's a no go. Best bet is to get a real phone line.
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

darn

Post by Chaosomega »

Darn it guess I got to go old school with it lol does it require a phone to be connected to the sega netlink and then plug in threw the phone into the phone jack?.. Hmm I got phone jack adapters to support two lines though. Right now jerry I seen your you tube video about your keyboard adapter. Nice find by the way heh I all i got is dragon force panzer dragoon and nights into dreams that came with the 3d controller. I am trying to my hands on duke nukem and Daytona usa netlink edition but going to be hard trying to find Daytona. With duke it should be easy finding that game I only wish I still had duke back when was a teenager for the saturn sigh. I have had my saturn since I was shit 14 and it still works like new. Well warp I do remember back when I was a teenager after begging my parents to get me the netlink well they did for like 5 hours then I remember giving them a choice of which provider to pick to surf the web with. Then my dad was like hmm nope not paying this if long distance charges apply to play games and stuff.. But yeah netlink is something that I was deprived of lol and NOW I am taking it back lol 15 years to late lol.
Last edited by Chaosomega on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Daytona's Netlink Edition is not only rare - it's expensive. Be ready to pay hundreds of dollars depending on the condition.

As for your hookup question - the NetLink has two jacks in it. You plug one into the phone jack in your wall, and you can optionally plug a phone into the other one. You could also use your line splitter if you so chose.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Thanks warp, well when my net link comes in the mail I am going to have to give it a test run lol But after i get that I gotta work to obtain the netlink games. Well I got the first vershion of Daytona but I dont think its netlink playable But I am working to get duke nukem first then worry about Daytona some other time.By the way is that avatar from sega channel 5? lol
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

My avatar is a character from a PC indie game called Ivory Springs. Her name is Robin.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

well warp its confirmed netlink does not work on magi jack or any type of digital service oh wells.. Guess I gotta do the good ol fashioned lan line trick lol. Would be nice if I could wirelessly connect to a phone line. Well just if I ever get duke nukem for my saturn i will be more than happy to play with you all. See when I bought my netlink on ebay they had this site advertised I was like WHOA people still playing the old school way IM IN >:D I am happy I find ppl just like me sega fans.Though it saddens me what sega became and had to pull out the console race but they made remarkerble consoles like the sega genesis and sega cd and the saturn which I think was the most hi tech during its time and had better graphics than ps1 and games.

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

"LAN line trick"? I'm not sure what you're talking about. There is no connection "trick" to date that I'm aware of. The NetLink will not connect to a local area network. It was designed to connect only to an analog phone line. You can't even directly connect two NetLinks together without a telephone line simulator connecting the two of them.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Thanks for the insight warp I'll just connect the phone line into the wall jack for it to connect I forget this is Ancient human techology. My phone line is just used for my fax machine soon it will be my gaming port heh. Its not digital so no worries.

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey Warp, I'll sticky something if you want to make it, but if you also want to go through the "info and guides" link and post it there, I'll approve it and sticky a link to there.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.