Just one question about the netlink

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

Hey Chaos cool to see some more people grab a netlink.

I read some of your posts. I too had Saturn back when I was... well im 24 now so quite a long time ago. I was an FPS fan back then so I still have my original copies of Duke Nukem, Quake and so forth. However it wasnt until last May that I finally played a Netlink match. Very fun indeed.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Yo Xranger if you want you can make a sticky with my hour long netlink video. It goes over pretty much everything including that you need an analog phone line. Or if Warp does make a little mini FAQ I can just post a link to it there.
Game collection on my site.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

xDerekRx wrote:Hey Chaos cool to see some more people grab a netlink.

I read some of your posts. I too had Saturn back when I was... well im 24 now so quite a long time ago. I was an FPS fan back then so I still have my original copies of Duke Nukem, Quake and so forth. However it wasnt until last May that I finally played a Netlink match. Very fun indeed.
Yeah now that I am well 27 lol I can afford the long distance phone calls we have unlimted long distance threw our cable company.Im just waiting to get my copy of duke I'll be more than happy to play coop or dukematches with you all. I grow tired of WoW so im taking a long vacation from it. So I am dusting off my sega saturn once I get my netlink and duke for it heh.By the way derek how does play online with matches on dial up, laggy?

Everybody is super sonic race-in try to keep your feet right on the ground!!

Netlink games owned: Duke Nukem3D more to come in the future
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Dial-up is usually pretty solid. It's when you use a digital phone service such as Vonage or services provided by a cable company that you usually have problems.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Warp do I have to have dial up service with the netlink? In setup its asking for isp phone number and i put in the isp dns ip.. Please shead some light on me im some what not oriented with old technolgy.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: .

Post by Warp2063 »

Chaosomega wrote:Warp do I have to have dial up service with the netlink? In setup its asking for isp phone number and i put in the isp dns ip.. Please shead some light on me im some what not oriented with old technolgy.
It doesn't accept IP addresses. Your modem has to actually dial a phone number to connect to your dial-up ISP. I don't know what your ISP's access phone numbers are, or even if you're using a dial-up internet service provider.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Oh I see well I used to dial up internet service provider which was aol and aol for dial up is like 5 bucks a month lol.. I dont know if surfing the web is even worth it on the netlink since most sites are flash and html 5.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Worth using on a regular basis? No. But it's cool to do once or twice.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

yeah warp ahaha just thinking about connecting on its verry out dated web browser is cool. Since sega does not make consoles no more and all. I hear the email still works guess cuz it goes off your isp. Is the XBand catapult still operational and the games on the planet web? So far Im educated how netlink games work how to connect with other ppl thanks to jerrys in depth reviews on netlink.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

No. Although the NetLink is based off the XBAND technology, the NetLink actually lets you specify a phone number to dial. The XBAND dialed up a server (which no longer exists) in order to find someone to match you with, and then had your modem dial them up (never showing either of you the other person's phone number). There was no way to specify what number you wanted it to call.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Chaos, for more information, please be sure to also check out the "Info and guides" section. It has a lot of the answers you seek.

I've just created a thread for new users here.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

thanks ranger

Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

No problem. And feel free to ask any further questions!
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Chaosomega

Post by Chaosomega »

Hey warp is NetZero compatible with the netlink I enter user id and pass correctly but netlink keeps telling me invalid but it connected to the access numbers.

Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Unfortunately, I don't know which services are compatible. I had to simulate my own ISP for my PlanetWeb Browser, which required building some equipment and running some specialized programs. However, I found this page:
http://help.qa5.netzero.net/support/sta ... ments.html

It says that the Sega Dreamcast is not compatible. If the Dreamcast is not compatible with an ISP, then you can pretty much always guarantee that the Saturn is also incompatible.

If you want to try to set up an ISP like I did, here's the guide I used:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... cwin98.php

Everything is the same, except the screens that you input commands into on the Saturn side are a little different than the Dreamcast's. The commands themselves do not change, though.