NetLink compatible games

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Xranger60
Site Admin

NetLink compatible games

Post by Xranger60 »

Everyone by now is well acquainted with the games that were produced with NetLink compatibility. But 5 games with NetLink support was meager than and happens to look completely quaint now. My question to you guys is: What games do you think were perfect candidates for NetLink support?

I think the NetLink would have done extremely well with some more sports games. MLB, NHL, especially Madden, would have been hits, and most likely would have moved a lot of NetLink units.

The NetLink lacked a fighting game to support it in the US. Imagine if a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter was released and had NetLink support embedded?

With direct dial gameplay, the possibilities were endless. It's sad that the NetLink was such a niche device, and the software available didn't provide the full range that could have been explored.

Co-op gameplay would have been sweet. I can imagine a nice scrolling shooter implementing something like this. What do you guys think?
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Isaac [GER]

Post by Isaac [GER] »

I'd say Burnig Rangers and Shining Force 3, maybe even Panzer Dragoon. 3 lovely gems on the system, still love to play 'em from time to time. In my opinion the Netlink needed more "real" Co-op games. Duke 3D's Coop is still awesome though. ;D
HOLY SMOKIN' JESUS TITTY CINNAMON!
Auto-Fox

Post by Auto-Fox »

Personally, and you may think this odd, I think there should have been more 2D games, especially arcade ports, with NetLink support.
A prime candidate, I think, would have been Strikers 1945. Up to four players (2 per involved console) battling for a high score could have been interesting.
Not a killer app, mind, but a fun little feature, I think.
Certainly, fighting games could have benefited from the technology. A group battle in Street Fighter over NetLink would have been awesome on toast.
Also, I'm not sure how many puzzle games were released for the Saturn, but it might have been interesting to use some kind of match locater system to pit your intelligence against a random foe.
In the same vein, epic strategy games like Dragon Force would have been GREAT over NetLink. Finally, two armchair generals could meet in mortal combat!
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Definitely agreed on the 2d games. NetLink could have benefitted from something like a Metal Slug co-op (too bad it required a memory expansion cart).

As for a puzzle game, I'm thinking something along the lines of Kirby's Avalanche would have done very well on NetLink.

RTS... I remember that Command & Conquer: Red Alert had a Link cable mode on the PlayStation for 1 on 1 gameplay in skirmish mode. This could have been a great opportunity for NetLink gameplay. Any kind of game like that would have been great.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

I used to dream about a few different titles I wish were supported.

I wish they would have made 1 sports game just because those are nice for online competition. Like NHL or Soccer would fit nice. Madden or even MLB would have worked as well. Racing is as close as it got.

Back in pre 2000 era, online FPS were king. Quake online was a must and I remember when it was released for Saturn people were letdown by lack of support online.

I honestly think it was cool just to have these 5 titles. To me Duke Nukem was the coolest title but all 5 work for each genre.

But like I said if it had, in hindsight, 2-3 more titles, I bet more people would still be into the nostalgia of it, like Dreamcast.

After that little ramble, If I could add 4 more games, because thats a realistic number, it would be

Sonic R... I know that makes 3 racing games but Sonic R was so fun and you figured Sega would utilize its own service for for a Sonic Game.

NHL All Star 98... fantastic hockey game. I could even sub in Soccer 98 here. Another Sega product.

Quake... 3D at its best on the Saturn, a perfect FPS to compliment Duke online.

The fourth game is a toss up. It would have been cool to have one Co-Op RPG or adventure game to go online with like Dreamcast had Phantasy Star etc.

If Netlink had 1 more sports game, 1 more FPS , Sonic Racing and maybe 1 more unique adventure title, it would have been simply incredible. I guess we need to remember we are lucky to have what we do considering the Netlink was ahead of its time. Im just glad Duke Nukem made it. That was the most bold and technical masterpiece for the Netlink because it had deathmatch and co-op with minimal lag just like everyone that owned a PC was playing at the time.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I think that the NetLink problem was also the Saturn problem in the US at the time. Lack of success...

Imagine if they did Diablo for Saturn. It could be playable today!
Of course it must have been a version more approached to the PC version, not like the crappy ps version...

But that could be possible only if the Saturn was a huge sucess in the USA.

Also, a Starcraft would work till today. I don't know if the Saturn could handle a Starcraft like the N64 did. Maybe a more simple one. The N64 Starcraft is completely converted to 3D though, so a Saturn one could be more 2D-ish just like the PC version.

I've never played the Saturn Warcraft 2 (and I'm not even a fan of Warcraft) but it could be NetLink compatible too, I think.

But we have to agree, the effort of the developers was and is, and will ever be, sale biased.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rogue wrote:But we have to agree, the effort of the developers was and is, and will ever be, sale biased.
There's a good reason for that too. You can make games for whatever system for as long as you want... but if you don't sell any, you don't get to eat.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Warp2063 wrote:
Rogue wrote:But we have to agree, the effort of the developers was and is, and will ever be, sale biased.
There's a good reason for that too. You can make games for whatever system for as long as you want... but if you don't sell any, you don't get to eat.
Oh, of course, lol.
I think I couldn't express myself the way I intended.

Besides that, there were cases in history that not exactly follow that point. Like the Dreamcast with EA and the N64 with the lack of games cause they were developed only with the disc in mind. Of course it can be a mix of unability to compress music/video/etc with publishers' sales expectations/predictions and things like that.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

Basically any game that had multiplayer would have worked great on the netlink. Virtua Fighter 2 online would have been amazing!
Game collection on my site.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Sonic R should've been NetLinkable.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Didn't Sega Touring Car have some online component to it? Special Net Event races, or something similar?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Peter wrote:Didn't Sega Touring Car have some online component to it? Special Net Event races, or something similar?
Had nothing to do with NetLink:
by completing the arcade mode's championship races you are presented with a code. This code can then be mailed to the Touring Car website (http://www.sega.co.jp/stc/), where you will be ranked with all other players on a global scale. Not only is this a cool feature, but also gives you a genuine goal to reach, and extends the life of the game tenfold.

Not only this, but at certain times in the near future, 'Net Events' will be unlocked in Touring Car. These are 24-hour contests, synchronized around the world, where you are given unique goals to reach in the game and given special codes. Again, you e-mail them to the website as an entry into that particular event. The first of these is to be held on Christmas Eve, followed by two more in first quarter '98. You have to give Sega credit, they've never been afraid to try something new.

http://www.gaming-age.com/reviews/archi ... n/touring/