Introduce Yourself!!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Rockman1974

Re: Introduce Yourself!!

Post by Rockman1974 »

Hey all, just joined the boards because a subscriber to my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectCOE?feature=mhee) happened to tell me that the NetLink was actually released. I had no idea that it actually made it to retail, and I was a very big Saturn fan back in the day. I guess for one reason or another I just never paid that much attention to that aspect of the Saturn. I was really into the import scene back then as you can tell by the videos I post.

Anyways, when I found out the NetLink was actually released I jumped on eBay and purchase it along with Virtual On NetLink Edition and Duke Nukem 3D. Now I'm just waiting for the goods to arrive and I plan to post some videos to educate my subscribers and readers of my site (projectcoe.com). The only thing that worries me now are the outrageous long distance charges Bell will charge me. Living in Quebec, Canada sometimes has its disadvantages.

I own a massive library of Saturn games and lately have been posting sort of retro reviews, if you will, on some of my Saturn games. It's been really fun and I've managed to convince a buddy of mine to pick up the NetLink as well, so we could play together. He lives in the next province over so we should be able to do it since we both have analog phone services. I'm just wondering how expensive it'll be O_o

I give you all a warm welcome and once my goods arrive I'll be sure to hit you guys up on the matches thread to see how everything works. Knowing my friend, we'll likely hit up Xbox Live to chat, and play via our phone lines. Should be a real blast. I can't wait!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Congrats and welcome!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

caine0316

Post by caine0316 »

I used to love the Netlink, my nick was Flyboy or FlyboyRoccoRock, and also Cactus.
I used to be in the chat like all day long back then, it was so much fun.
Miss those old days.
Wish more people would get that nostalgic buzz and search this place out cause it would have been cool to meet some old friends again.

We used to get together in a big conference call run by a guy named Carlos.
Wonder if anyone will see this that remembers this.

if so, contact me at joevalenti4@gmail.com
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I didn't get my first Saturn until well after even the Dreamcast's heydey, so I wouldn't have been one to play you. I wish there were more games that supported the NetLink, though!
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
xDerekRx

Post by xDerekRx »

It kinda sucks analog phone lines are all but dead. Back in 2008 we were getting matches without much issue.
Netlink Games Owned:
-Duke Nukem 3D
-Sega Rally
-Bomberman
-Virtua On
-Daytona CCE Netlink Edition

If you wanna play just give me a holla!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Oh! Someone from the NetLink age!
That's really cool!
For us, we can only imagine how cool it was those obscure sites when the internet was becoming popular.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
psychy

Post by psychy »

Name: James
Current Location: Cincinnati, OH
Hometown: Honolulu, HI
Hobbies: Gaming on my PS4 or Xbox 360

Bought my Netlink in 1997.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Welcome, psychy! ... Or... Is this really welcome, as you've been here for three years?

Welcome, anyway!
Sonic_Ecco

Post by Sonic_Ecco »

Hi. Thanks for the add. My name is Mike and from Canada. I have had my Saturn since the mid 90's and last year began collecting again. I now have 2 Saturns and 2 NetLink cards and will be trying to go online with them. Have Virtual On so far and 2 other NetLink games are on the way, Daytona and Rally, can't wait for them to arrive. I also play a lot of other Saturn games and Dreamcast games. I bought my first DC 9999 and now have a couple more to play with the hardware. If you are looking for a match and know how to set it up please let me know. Hope that there are more like me. :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Welcome to the forums!

Do you really have a NetLink-compatible version of Daytona on the way? Those are usually quite rare and expensive! Also, one doesn't so much "go online" with the NetLink, unless they're trying to use the web browser. Playing games is done via directly dialing up an opponent over analog phone lines, which are also becoming quite rare these days.

I hope you succeed in getting a match going!
Sonic_Ecco

Post by Sonic_Ecco »

Thank you for the support and also special thanks for the info. I thought I might have to find dial up isp's, this is helpful info. I do have Daytona CCE Netlink Edition that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. I know it is rare, so I knew to buy it while I had the chance. I also hope it arrives in good condition.

I also have 2 land lines(working from home has it benefits) and 2 Saturns and 2 Nelink cards + 2 TVs, so I will be hosting arcade events in my game room with Rally and Virtual On(also purchased 2 copies of each; on the way). It is so close, I can taste the polygons. I hope to find other people on the internet that I can play Duke and Daytona with though and Bomberman(if i can find a copy to my liking). I know I am going to have a fun winter.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Analog land lines? Digital is all that most people who still have land lines have, these days.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

If you don't have analog land lines ... which you probably don't... don't give up hope. Look into the phone line simulator. I've recently lost access to an analog land line but totally intend to get a phone line simulator set up one of these days to host some gaming events myself.
Game collection on my site.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

JerryTerrifying wrote:If you don't have analog land lines ... which you probably don't... don't give up hope. Look into the phone line simulator. I've recently lost access to an analog land line but totally intend to get a phone line simulator set up one of these days to host some gaming events myself.
Which is great for local play, but really defeats the purpose of the NetLink. It'd still be fun, though, if you can get people together for it.