Any Aussie Netlinkers?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Reno214

Any Aussie Netlinkers?

Post by Reno214 »

I have recently aquired a cracked, region unlocked Sega Saturn. I'm wondering if it is worth buying Netlink considering that I live in Australia and will probably find myself to be the only one in the country interested interested in using one.

I have a critical question regarding the usage of the Netlink, CAN I use a phonecard to access cheaper call rates (international) or will the Sega Saturn only allow the input of a regular phone number?

Phone cards would make it very affordable to play Yanks, Poms and Canucks and it probably wouldn't be worth it to pay out the 80 bucks it'll cost for a netlink, mouse and keyboard if I can't call people cheaply in other countries.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

No, I don't think it will work. If you have to wait for any kind of prompt or anything before dialing the number of the person you want to play, then the Saturn will just try to connect with whatever number you called for the phone card. If, however, there are no prompts and you can simply enter a long string of numbers... It might work.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Reno214

Post by Reno214 »

I remember using one service that allowed me to put through a number as one long string buuuutttt... the last service I remember using had prompts. Anyone kind enough to spend 10 bucks on a card to check it out? Might be worth it, every Asian milkbar here has shitloads of phonecards.
JerryTerrifying

Post by JerryTerrifying »

If I were you I'd try to talk a buddy into getting everything they need. Or perhaps checking an Australia specific gaming site's forum for other people that may be interested then convincing them.
Game collection on my site.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well, even if a waiting time is required, it should work.
I remember something like putting a "," or a "." between the numbers to make the dialer wait some seconds?
I mean, almost all "dial up things" do that. The netlink should do it too.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Rogue wrote:Well, even if a waiting time is required, it should work.
I remember something like putting a "," or a "." between the numbers to make the dialer wait some seconds?
Hmm... Worth a shot, if the NetLink lets you type anything other than numbers in that field. I'll give it a shot after work.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Warp2063 wrote:
Rogue wrote:Well, even if a waiting time is required, it should work.
Hmm... Worth a shot, if the NetLink lets you type anything other than numbers in that field. I'll give it a shot after work.
Nope, only lets you type numbers and hyphens, and the hyphens don't affect how long it takes to dial. If you were allowed to write your own init string, you could add other punctuation, but the NetLink program doesn't allow it.