Japanese Netlink (Xband modem)??

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
rush6432

Japanese Netlink (Xband modem)??

Post by rush6432 »

So.......this got me thinking. the modem is more or less the same, but i was never told if the unit actually worked with a service or had direct dial like the usa netlink counter part.

anyway here is a complete list of supported games and software by the japanese xband modem

Game(s) :
Daytona USA Circuit Edition [GS-9100]
DecAthlete for SegaNet [GS-7110]
Dennou Senki Virtual-On for SegaNet [GS-7106]
Dennou Senki Virtual-On for SegaNet (Genteiban) [GS-7107]
Habitat II [GS-7105]
Pad Nifty [GS-7101]
Pad Nifty 1.1 & Habitat II [GS-7109]
Puyo Puyo Sun for SegaNet [GS-7111]
Puzzle Bobble 3 for SegaNet [GS-7113]
Saturn Bomberman for SegaNet [T-14305G]
Sega Rally Championship Plus [GS-9116]
Sega Rally Championship Plus (Satakore) [GS-9149]
Sega Saturn Internet 2 [T-31302G]
Sega Saturn Internet Vol.1 [T-31301G]
Sega Worldwide Soccer '98 [GS-9187]
Shadows of the Tusk [T-14319G]
Special Disc with Sega Saturn Internet 2 [T-31303G]
Virtua Fighter Remix for SegaNet [GS-7103]

Demo(s) :
Dragon's Dream [GS-7114]
Voice World Sample CD [HSS-0163-T]
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

so..........from what i hear.... netlink modem from japan has a direct dial feature hidden in it..... i wont say where i heard this but... im intrigued... maybe we'll get virtua fighter on the saturn to play over netlink/jap xband modem!

ill have to look into this.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

We'll still be faced with the same direct-dial problems we already have, though. Not enough people have analog phone lines. Then add that to the issue of running Japanese software on a US system, or importing a Japanese system. In an absolutely worst-case (and not improbable) scenario, we'd have to import Japanese modems, too.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

well.... ive managed to strike gold agian :) i got some source code for the saturn version, not a ton but just enough to be able to figure out how to hack the japanese version to do p2p (direct dial) and use the japanese games :) This project is on the back burner for now but i will probably come back to it. Currently im tackling the sega genesis mega modem stuff (translating games from jap to english) which is taking alot of time. hopefully ill be able to get to this afterwards so we can have some more games to play against each other (virtua fighter, ect ect)
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey, if you can get the Japanese Xband modem to work like that, it would be pretty cool, considering there are more games available for it.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
SEGA RPG FAN

Re: Japanese Netlink (Xband modem)??

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

Care to share some info? Secrets don't make friends and cryptic posts with nothing to back it up are worthless :roll:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Wow, forgot about this... was a while ago.

Frankly, that question brings back some unpleasant memories of a few years ago, when a few of us who were working on a project together were able to view some original source code with the stipulation that we weren't permitted to share it online. One team member, however, decided to leak it all. :/
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Way to rev a necro thread.

I happend to get some xband saturn source snippets. Id have to dig around on my backup drives to see if i still have it now, but warp hit the nail on the head.

We had a guy who basically is just another ux designer patching emulators and graphics together spew everything out the public when the original catapult developers told us NOT to distribute it.

So basically he ruined it for everyone.
SEGA RPG FAN

Post by SEGA RPG FAN »

A few of us have had success with connecting netlink games over VOIP and now I'm interested in the Japanese modem. If that can be made to direct dial, I would love to do some testing with that as well. Any luck finding the info rush?