Sharing SEGA Saturn save files

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
alpha&omega

Sharing SEGA Saturn save files

Post by alpha&omega »

Is it still possible to send save files as email attachments and download them to the Saturn using the Netlink? I used to do this back in the Saturn days, but forgot how it worked exactly. Was it only restricted to getting saves from email attachments, or could you download save files from a website?

I still have most of my save files from over 10 years ago thanks to the Action Replay and SEGA memory cart.

Anyone here have the save file for Resident Evil that lets you play "lil' Barry"? I do. You can play Resident Evil using Barry, but he's about half his normal height! I want to share this file. But the Action Replay, which I don't have the data cable for, or the Netlink is the only way to make this possible.
Got Netlink?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Of course it's possible to do it today.

But we have a problem. We still can't "send" emails.

The actual smtp servers (sending servers) of the email providers (yahoo, hotmail, all of them) need to be "secure" in today standards. To avoid spam, etc. And the PlanetWeb browser can't handle that.

You can totally receive emails. The pop3 servers (receiving servers of the email providers) don't use the secure thing, and the PlanetWeb can read any email (at least all the ones I've tried).

So, if you have a save file stored on a computer, I really believe you can download it to the internal memory (that's something about that in the browser instructions, I think). You can host the file in a not-so-shiny website and you can also send to your email and open it in the Saturn.
I've never did it myself, cause I really don't like to use other people saves and I don't look for saves to even try. It's worth a try, though.

We are still looking for a smtp server like those of the nineties. If you happen to know about an email service (even a paid service), please share it with us.