Cost of Playing on the Netlink

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Cost of Playing on the Netlink

Post by Warp2063 »

The big issue with playing on the NetLink is that almost no one has long-distance analog phone service anymore. Therefore, a select few people are constantly asked to make long-distance phone calls so that others can play. This means that the person being asked is also being asked to shoulder the costs of playing. It's rather unfair.

In my case, the only reason I have been able to make long-distance calls in the past is that my parents have kept our long-distance analog service active due to a special package deal with my mom's cell phone service provider. The only reason they keep it active, too, is for times when they absolutely need it. With the way the plan works, if they don't make any long distance phone calls, the base cost of the long-distance plan is refunded each month, making it cost nothing. However, if even one long-distance call is made, the base cost isn't refunded, and then there's a per-minute charge on top of that. To avoid this, most of the time they don't use it, using cell phones, video chats, texting, or email to communicate. As a result, for me to even attempt to make one NetLink connection, it ends up costing my parents four or five dollars. Not exactly cheap for a single game. Back when I had a job, I could offer to pay my parents back for any time I spent using the NetLink, but now that I'm a jobless student, that isn't a good option anymore.

The only reason I've written this is because I've had quite a few requests recently to play NetLink games with people. Even if I was home with a job and my Saturn and access to that long-distance analog phone line, I'd still be stuck with paying the bill every time someone wanted to play with me. As I mentioned -- it's kind of unfair. It can be fun, but it's definitely costly.

This is just one situation. I don't know the situations of the other NetLinkers with long-distance phone lines, but someone is still being asked to pay the bill so that you can play. I'm just trying to make people aware of this. I know that there's really no other solution for most of the NetLinkers out there, but still... keep it in mind what you're asking. :/
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
bellotto

Re: Cost of Playing on the Netlink

Post by bellotto »

If there were a way to use init strings in Netlink games I could dial. The Saturn browser has this feature, and I'm able to call an ISP.

If anyone knows any way to do something similar with Netlink games, I can dial anytime. I have free long distance.
khenry100

Post by khenry100 »

Is there anyway to set up a paypal account so we all pay our fair share to those with the correct connections? Send money? Surely as a small community that is looking to keep the Saturn experience alive a small amount of trust could be implied. Yes? I'd be willing to chip in!
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

I would definately contribute. I wish there were a way to get my Netlink to recognize the dial tone, having free long distance.

I could easily pay at least 10 dollars a month. If this could get a lot of matches going, I'd increase the amount.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Usually the only way you get unlimited long-distance is with a digital phone service, which is incompatible with the NetLink.

As for payments like this... someone would have to organize this whole thing. As I said, I have pretty limited access to my Saturn right now, being at school, and I don't have a phone line here, so bringing it out here wouldn't accomplish anything. I think it'd be more up to the people who do have access to a long-distance analog phone line at the moment.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
khenry100

Post by khenry100 »

Honestly I wouldn't consider limited access too much of a problem. Check out my other post regarding yearly or seasonal tournaments, it could work out just fine given we all coordinate schedules and what not.
khenry100

Post by khenry100 »

I will look into the whole paypal thing. It would be based on individual accounts, not any type of joint Saturn League thing. I'll report back when I can find out enough relevant information.
bellotto

Post by bellotto »

There would only be so many games, even paying 10 dollars a month, thats about 2 games. I don't think it's worth it.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The cost that I mentioned for that single attempt includes the base cost of the bill for a single month. I don't remember the rate, but it's definitely less than a dollar per minute. It's still not cheap, but if it were being used enough, that base cost would average out better. For a single game... not so much. And this is just the plan my parents have that I was talking about. I don't know about any other plans out there.
khenry100

Post by khenry100 »

My thinking is that its more worth it to gather all our resources and shoot for as big of a tournament as possible. I know the community is not big but give enough notice and on a day that the most amount of people could attend and you just might have something. Plus with the right round robin set up followed by a knock out round and it could be fun. Of course the games are limited but that just means we make a day or two out of it with all the games except Daytona. We all jump on skype, hang out as a community, have a beer in hand...I don't know, it doesn't seem to shabby to me. :) Throw in a Saturn League Champ Cafepress t-shirt to the overall winner and you are good to go. So what if its only 4 guys, maybe the next year its 6, and so on.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Hi all,

Just joined the boards because I've got my NetLink on the way. Funny thing is I've been a huge Saturn fan since it launched in '95, but apparently not as big a fan as I thought because I never knew the NetLink shipped. I remember hearing all about it, but I thought it was discontinued. I just found out last week from that it was released and five games work with it. Color me shocked and amazed. So I hit up eBay right away and currently the only games I can find are Duke Nukem 3D and Virtual On, which works for me.

From my understanding all I have to do is connect my phone line into the NetLink and dial a buddy. I live in Canada and I still have my original analog phone service, and so does my pal. He lives in the next province though so that would be long distance to me, isn't that just awesome?

What I'm wondering is if you can use a bypass call system like 10-10-103. I'd get charged $3 per minute or use with my regular plan or $0.05 with the 10-10-103. A "slight" difference in savings. Does anyone know if that works? Whenever I call my buddy I dial 10-10-103 then 1-area code-phone number and it just rings once to my pal. If anyone knows if this works, please let me know. If not, I'll see if I can alter my plan to include cross-Canada class at the very least.

Cheers and it's great to find out about this some 14 years later lol.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

The NetLink can dial any length phone number. If you need to put a pause in it between dialing the first and second numbers, though... I don't know if it can do that. I don't believe so. There's a prefix dialing option, but it only allows you to select a single digit.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

That's the beauty of 10-10-103, you just dial it straight, no need to wait for anything. I'll test it out once I get my goods. I'll hit up the Match board to test it out.

This is a great site, and I still can't believe I didn't know about the NetLink being released after all these years lol.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I first read about it in a Boys' Life magazine a loooong time ago. For years, I remembered the name as "Sega Satellite", though. I didn't actually get a NetLink until 2008, however... probably over a decade after I first read about it.
NWA

Post by NWA »

Rockman1974 wrote:That's the beauty of 10-10-103, you just dial it straight, no need to wait for anything. I'll test it out once I get my goods. I'll hit up the Match board to test it out.

This is a great site, and I still can't believe I didn't know about the NetLink being released after all these years lol.
hey dude im in canada too, quebec. idk if you learnt about the 10-10-103 thing on a tv commercial recently, but thats how i found out about it, last week a commercial came up with that number saying that its free long distance or something so i was stoked, but wasnt sure if it was for usa only. :mrgreen:

if u ever wanna play me hit me up, i have all games excluding virtual on lol :D
Better run home to momma now!