Cost of Playing on the Netlink

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Rockman1974

Re: Cost of Playing on the Netlink

Post by Rockman1974 »

Oh wow, really NWA? That's pretty awesome man. So for sure dude, I'll hit you up. My area code is 514, but you're 450 am I right? I'm living on-island in TMR. Great to meet you

Wow these boards are wicked, can't believe there's someone else on here from around where I live. Awesome lol. Right now I've got Duke on the way, should be here in another week or so. I plan to record the first online match I'm in for my YouTube subscribers, so if you're cool with kicking my butt, all the better lol. I'd really like to show co-op and then we can shoot each other, or whatever.

I've got zero practice in Duke Nukem 3D so I can only imagine how awful I'll be lol.

How do you want to communicate? Do you use Skype, Xbox Live, PSN, etc? All options work for me.

Last little question, where in the blue blazes did you find a copy of Daytona? Did you pick it up years ago or did you actually spend $500,000,000 on it?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Wait... Does that number work in the US as well? If so, I need to look into it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

Most burn a copy and use the swap trick.... its not told of much here because it is pirating but i dont think it matters this much anymore as the saturn isnt mainstream anymore.
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Warp2063 wrote:Wait... Does that number work in the US as well? If so, I need to look into it.
I have no clue, but there are many alternatives. For Montreal, where I live, if I dial 10-10-103 then the international number, let's say 1-756-927-2901 (totally fake number), the call simply gets rerouted through the 10-10-103 service therefore I get charged $0.019 cents per minutes, so let's say $0.02 cents a minute. There are 60 minutes in an hour, so that's only $1.20 per hour! I can't imagine anyone not being able to afford that. Most of these games are short anyways, but even if I were to play for hours, at $1.20 an hour I can easily afford that. There are also bundled deals because I've called long distance to the US before and stayed on the phone for 2 hours and my bill was virtually nothing.

Take a look at your local directory to see if there's an equivalent.

Here's a link to the 10-10-103 site: http://www.1010103.ca/en/

Crazy, no?
NWA

Post by NWA »

Rockman1974 wrote:Oh wow, really NWA? That's pretty awesome man. So for sure dude, I'll hit you up. My area code is 514, but you're 450 am I right? I'm living on-island in TMR. Great to meet you

Wow these boards are wicked, can't believe there's someone else on here from around where I live. Awesome lol. Right now I've got Duke on the way, should be here in another week or so. I plan to record the first online match I'm in for my YouTube subscribers, so if you're cool with kicking my butt, all the better lol. I'd really like to show co-op and then we can shoot each other, or whatever.

I've got zero practice in Duke Nukem 3D so I can only imagine how awful I'll be lol.

How do you want to communicate? Do you use Skype, Xbox Live, PSN, etc? All options work for me.

Last little question, where in the blue blazes did you find a copy of Daytona? Did you pick it up years ago or did you actually spend $500,000,000 on it?
ya dude! my area code is actually 819, im from gatineau. i could have NEVER been able to buy a legit daytona copy back in the day, 1997 was before me, im 13, but like this type of stuff cuz i grew up early on with a snes, ps1, n64, and genesis so retro always stuck to me, it an iso put on a cd-r, im not a big fan of burnin but like ud know, satun and netlink stuff is pretty scarce in quebec. hit me up on face book my name is Thomas Demell, im easily spottable, my pic is the xband modem logo :mrgreen: i also have xbox live, im under jerebear11, it was my friends account before he was in a car accident :( so thats why the names jeremie in it, plus we used to call him jerebear lol
Better run home to momma now!
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Sounds like a plan. My name is Jarrod Nichol, you should get my request in two seconds.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Life throws curveballs at us sometimes for no reason whatsoever.

My Xbox Live ID is originally enough, Rockman1974. My PSN handle is Elder. I actually helped test the network before it went live, which is why my usernames are virtually all the same. In Sony's case I wanted to use my old, old, old MSN handle.

I've already sent a friend request via Live so you should see that shortly too.

As for the games, yeah I don't really want to mod my old Saturn, but finding the games legitimately isn't going to be easy...or cheap. I may have found a near mint copy of Bomberman for $100 though so I'll pick that up if the Amazon.com seller ever gets back to me.
NWA

Post by NWA »

Rockman1974 wrote:Sounds like a plan. My name is Jarrod Nichol, you should get my request in two seconds.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Life throws curveballs at us sometimes for no reason whatsoever.

My Xbox Live ID is originally enough, Rockman1974. My PSN handle is Elder. I actually helped test the network before it went live, which is why my usernames are virtually all the same. In Sony's case I wanted to use my old, old, old MSN handle.

I've already sent a friend request via Live so you should see that shortly too.

As for the games, yeah I don't really want to mod my old Saturn, but finding the games legitimately isn't going to be easy...or cheap. I may have found a near mint copy of Bomberman for $100 though so I'll pick that up if the Amazon.com seller ever gets back to me.
awesome! all my netlink games r backups cuz im not the wealthiest person out there, plus my family doesnt own credit cards or paypal accounts, so the only way i got my netlink was by going to a game store and getting the place to buy it off ebay for me! i was super stoked when it came, but instead of netlink games it was the 1 with netlink browser 2.0, so it only came with NiGHTS Into dreams sampler, but atleast it was a never used cib netlink! :D i setup a plan for myself, i own two saturns, one repaired and one never taken apart, model two's, repaired one for swaps, and good one for legit games, BUT.... last night on kijiji i found an ad selling a launch model 1 saturn with virtua fighter CIB! I managed to get it off him for 85$, so the repaired will get a modchip ( if that gamestore will buy off racketboy for me), the good model two will get a switchless mod, and my cib model 1 will be untouched under the hood, so no mods will b done. i dont know why i mentioned this, i just found it cool to have a saturn for certain specifics lol. :mrgreen:
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Yeah that's cool. I still have my black beauty as I call her, my original launch Saturn from May 1995. At least I think it was around there. Excellent system back then, and remains so to this very day. I'm still amazed I didn't know about the NetLink adapter until this year. How insane is that lol.

Happy New Year by the way. That goes to everyone on the boards.
NWA

Post by NWA »

Rockman1974 wrote:Yeah that's cool. I still have my black beauty as I call her, my original launch Saturn from May 1995. At least I think it was around there. Excellent system back then, and remains so to this very day. I'm still amazed I didn't know about the NetLink adapter until this year. How insane is that lol.

Happy New Year by the way. That goes to everyone on the boards.
Hey anytime this week if u wanna play im up for it, i can also play on the weekend too. or if ur stuff doesnt arrive by then msg me when it does, it should arrive soon tho. my netlink came from los angeles and took a week and three days to get here. u have duke nukem coming in too eh? if u want we can play co op or deathmatch, both r good to me! :mrgreen:
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I own three Saturns... The first I bought was a model 1 from a local (where I was living at the time), sketchy mom'n'pop game store. Unfortunately, it wasn't working correctly, and I didn't have the tools to open it up until I went home. Turned out that the drive spindle had dropped, causing the edge of the discs to rub against the drive tray. That caused enough friction that the drive motor would just give up to prevent burnout. I eventually fixed it, but it has some weird visual problems with certain games - especially with the NetLink software.

The other two are both model 2s. I bid on two Saturns at the same time on eBay, expecting to be outbid on one of them. It never happened, so I ended up with two more systems. One suffered a little damage during shipping (some of the case supports snapped), but it still plays games just fine. The second one I noticed had previously been modified for the swap trick.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

huh, thats pretty cool. the only thing im afraid about is getting this cib saturn and coming home to find out it doesnt work :/ so im just hoping for the best cuz i want a model 1 sooooo bad!!!! :mrgreen:
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

I'll let you know when my stuff arrives NWA. Yes indeed I have Duke coming. It's all coming from the Us so I expect it will be here towards the end of the week or mid-next week. I'll send you a message when I'm ready.

I only have my launch Saturn. I picked it up myself back in '95 and it works perfectly even after all these years. Same goes for my Master System, Genesis and Dreamcast. I even own an SG-1000 that a friend picked up for me while on a business trip to Japan many years ago. Thing works great too.

I really miss Sega hardware. These guys were always ahead of the bunch. I remember first booting up the Master System and comparing it to my NES. It was like night and day. I was young back then, but could still appreciate the differences.
NWA

Post by NWA »

thats cool, something wierd i wanted to mention tho, its that this launch model 1 saturn im getting comes with a sampler and virtua fighter remix, which i was suspicious of because virtua fighter remix came after lauch right?? im guessing that hes throwing that in as a freebie, and the serial number on the box was cut out, which i originally thought maybe this was stolen a long time ago ( i know, im over dramatic lol), but then i saw ur saturn vids and ur box had the serial number cut out at the store so i thought maybe certain stores did this, and maybe my saturn was bought at the same store franchise as yours, so if u can remember can you tell me where u bought your's, and i know what u mean by the nes vs. sega M.S i found abit more impressive than the nes when i first try one, but i never owned one, only my sis did. And isnt the SG-1000 an older sega system before they existed down here??
Rockman1974

Post by Rockman1974 »

Yeah my Saturn came with Panzer Dragoon, and the box was cut years ago by my younger cousins who thought cutting anything with scissors was just awesome. They were 4 at the time so I didn't really care much. I probably bought my system from Toys R Us, as that was my go-to store back in the day. If your box has a missing serial number does it really matter that much? Honestly, it could be any number of reasons to be perfectly honest.

In 1995 there were a few bundles that were released. One of them was the one I picked up with Panzer in it, there were others that had Virtua Fighter, but I don't ever recall one with Virtua Fighter Remix as that was given to players who registered their system in late 1995. I could be wrong though, you're asking me to go back over 11 years now lol.

Yes the SG-1000 was the Mark 1, the Mark III you know better as the Master System. Not many people have even seen this machine, but one of these days I'll do a video on it showcasing what it was all about. Pretty nifty machine actually.
NWA

Post by NWA »

dude thats pretty cool, ive seen many vids mentioning the sg-1000 but i never did any research on it, so i probably will cuz it sounds interesting, but its not that i have a prob with the box being cut, i just enjoy getting to the bottom of things like that, to now y it was cut or if it was just by someone who owned it previously, but either way im verry happy to own a boxed saturn, especially a model 1 which ill be playing most of the time cuz i like the model 1 design over the model 2, but both are great. im ancious to pick it up though because im afraid someone offers him higher than me, that'll suck!. I'm supposed to pick it up on monday but I have school on that day so i have NO idea how im gonna pull that off, so I am gonna try to get it this sunday, and its box will be proudly up on display for people to see, right beside my games and my netlink box lol. Should I get Panzer Dragoon for my saturn? Ive found a copy local but it comes with no original case or manual but a print of the cover in a dvd case with the game itself for 30$, which sounds like A HORRIBLE deal to me.