Yearly or Seasonal Tournaments???

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
khenry100

Yearly or Seasonal Tournaments???

Post by khenry100 »

Hi guys im fairly new here so please excuse me if I ask questions that have been recently answered or don't make sense! :D I see that in previous post there have been seasonal tournaments established and was wondering if those are still active? I would love to get some use out of my newly purchased netlink and games! I just got done speaking with Century Link and was delighted to hear that they offer analog phone service...at least for now. A home phone is something that I do not currently have and would have a very hard time explaing to my fiance that we need on a monthly basis (saving for the wedding), BUT that being said I would have much more luck if I was to get set up with phone service a 1-4 months out of the year depending on tournament frequency. Thoughts? I also see a lot of comments about those will free long distance making all the calls or even sometimes with long distance per the minute! What if willing members set up a paypal account so they could be compensated for their paid long distance. This is not a money making opportunity, just figure its a fair thing to do. If not paypal those more trust worthy individuals could send a check or a small amount my mail (talking $20 or so). I think it would help keep the community going. Anyone interested in a tournament or the paypal/mail idea please feel free to pm me or just reply to the post! I wanna have fun with my Saturn!!! :D :D :D
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Re: Yearly or Seasonal Tournaments???

Post by Warp2063 »

I know that some of the guys here (at least in the past; I don't know about now) have an interest in NetLink tournaments. Honestly, though, I don't. I picked up my first Saturn and a NetLink back in 2008 with the intent of solving the analog phone line problem. As you can see, though, it still hasn't happened - partly due to a lack of time, partly due to a lack of knowledge (although I've learned a TON from working on it), partly due to lack of personal motivation, partly due to the cost, and partly due to the low interest in the Saturn and NetLink. It was especially discouraging to see how quickly the initial level of interest in the XBAND 2.0 project tapered off. It's still fun for me to play a NetLink game once in a while, but the games are pretty dated and I'm not particularly good at any of the five available titles. Bomberman would probably be the best, but I've never been able to play it with anyone. Most people don't have it, and the one person I did almost get to play with couldn't get his Saturn to read his disc.

So... there are probably people interested in this tournament, but I'm only really interested in the occasional casual game. I'm more interested in the tech and nostalgia sides of things than actually playing most of the Saturn's games.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
khenry100

Post by khenry100 »

well I will agree that Saturn games as a whole are sooo dated its sad but I will say this, being a Sega Rally fan that spans Sega Rally all the way to the new Sega Rally Online Arcade for PS3, that game's gameplay even on the Saturn is timeless, it holds up very well. Same with Daytone but good luck on finding the netlink version I know! I would imagine Bomberman falls in line with Rally being timeless gameplay. Virtual On is kind of in the middle, with Duke 3d being the stinker as far as timeless gameplay goes. Im right there with you as far as casual playing being ideal but again, having a phone line year round really isn't practical for me with cells phones but I would be willing to get a plan on choice months(tournaments). I will do some more brainstorming about it but would love to gage people's interest! Being someone with access to an analog phoneline I would love to be one of the members to attempt it, I will just have to take my time to see how active the boards are and see who notices this.
Last edited by khenry100 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

Actually, right after posting last, I turned on my PS3 and played a little Sega Rally Online Arcade. It's quite enjoyable. The port of Daytona USA is also fun, and looks just like the Saturn version. Both have multiplayer online modes, although I've heard that Daytona gets kind of weird with laggy connections... just like the NetLink.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!