Europe!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Chemowski

Europe!

Post by Chemowski »

Okay. This Netlink seems awesome but no way im making a call from Sweden to USA. Was the netlink released in Europe? I have a hard time finding good facts about this.
NWA

Re: Europe!

Post by NWA »

no only ntsc i believe so canada usa and some other places it wont work down there i think, i own one and it produces 0 lag, ive played with some people but u will have to try it urself
Better run home to momma now!
Chemowski

Post by Chemowski »

I was more thinking of the total cost of making a call from Sweden to USA without a special plan or something.

Got kinda sad now. No netlink in europe :(
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It was only officially released in the US and in Japan, as far as I know... although the Japanese version was basically just another XBAND. You had to pay for each connect, just as you did with the SNES and Genesis XBANDs. I heard that they did a few trials in Europe, but didn't actually release it.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chemowski

Post by Chemowski »

*Slapped in the face*
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

We do have European NetLink members on these boards who (at least said they would) get their friends to play with them so they could make more local connections. And one or two people on here DO make long-distance calls from places as distant as South America.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
Chemowski

Post by Chemowski »

for 19 kronor(about three dollars) extra per month on my home phone plan, i can call USA for 0.15 kronor per minute, or for 20 minutes, 3 dollars. Thats kinda cheap I have to admit. Do I need to get a ntsc console or can i netlink to USA with a PAL console? And what about lag?

I might be looking into a multi-x console that can boot both PAL and NTSC. But I wont be able to get one in a while, seeing as one costs about 350 usd. And I have to look up on how to get a modem to sweden and if it will work on swedish phones(which it should do). The thing im scared off is getting a multi-x console and having the netlink adapter not working on it. Is the netlink adapter region locked?
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

There are no European NetLink games, as there isn't really a European NetLink. You'd have to jump through the same hoops as you would to play any NTSC-U game in your country. PAL operates on a different resolution and screen refresh frequency than NTSC, so you'd have to deal with that issue. You could get a US system and an NTSC-to-PAL adapter for your TV... or perform a region and frequency modification on your system, but you'd still need to have the adapter for your TV. If there are other methods, I don't know; the only imported games I have are from Japan, and they use the NTSC standard as well. You'd probably want to ask someone who imports games from the US to Europe.

You'd need an analog phone line as well - the NetLink doesn't work well with digital phone service. I don't know what you're using. As for lag... well, it's a REALLY long-distance connection. I don't know how well it will work. I know that people did transcontinental XBAND games without too much issue, so I assume they did with the NetLink as well. I don't know about trans-Atlantic calls, though. Assuming Sweden's phone system isn't too weird, the NetLink shouldn't have a problem interfacing with it, assuming you have the right cable. In the US, a standard phone connector is an RJ-11.