is it possible to download rare netlink games off the net?

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
segasaturndude

is it possible to download rare netlink games off the net?

Post by segasaturndude »

Hello i'm curious if its possible to Download the rare Sega Saturn netlink games like Daytona usa netlink edition etc, so i wouldn't have to pay an outragous price for a rare game? i believe to download it you have to have its ISO yes?
Welcome to the Real world, Sega Saturn Image
Stripeless

Re: is it possible to download rare netlink games off the ne

Post by Stripeless »

That would be terribly convenient.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's a technique called piracy in which a person obtains a piece of software that was not paid for. It's illegal in most parts of the world.

Many forums ban members for discussing methods of obtaining games illegally, or places that they can be obtained from.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

Sorry I asked -_-
Stripeless

Post by Stripeless »

Wouldn't these games be considered "abandonware" by now?

I frequently see SNES/Genesis combo consoles at used game stores because the copyrights have expired after 20+ years. I'm guessing copyright ownership differs between hardware and software, but I seriously doubt Sega would be knocking on your door.

...I probably shouldn't be discussing this.
rush6432

Post by rush6432 »

It can be found online (daytona usa netlink version) i wont mention where but its out there.
I Dont personally believe its worth the 500+ it goes for. quite stupid and rediculous for that quality of a game, but im not for piracy unless its to combat stupid rediculous over inflation started by a few.

the atari jaguar community is notorious for this stuff as well.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't condone piracy, but in the cases of ridiculously-inflated prices or unavailable software, I can understand it. What I really can't respect is someone who pirates everything or almost everything. I know a guy who buys almost nothing - he downloads almost all his games illegally... and I hate when he talks about it. It feels like he's bragging.

That being said, many people do it it, although many boards ban or suspend members who post links to or talk about where to find pirated software. That's not stopping you from doing a Google search, though. Be respectful to the authors and publishers, though, and purchase as much as you can legally. Don't just decide that because you can't afford something right now, even if it's old, means that it's okay to steal it.

As for "abandonware" - I don't trust many of the people that claim software is abandonware. More often than not, it's a pirate looking to justify his theft. I have heard of a few cases where companies have legitimately released their claims on certain games, but only a few. With the consoles, I believe that they're licensed to some extent - at least I seem to remember seeing print on some of the boxes claiming that they're licensed. Sega has definitely sold licenses to produce Genesis systems before. I'm not as sure about Nintendo, but I seem to remember a "licensed by Nintendo" notice on one of the ones I've seen...
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
segasaturndude

Post by segasaturndude »

I'm only interested in the rare games as i definitly cannot aford $500+, i definitly have always bought legally, and was just curious about downloading it for free possibly. i do respect the creators of the games. and to download the game of the net it would be so to just play it not to distribute it for free.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

I don't think many of the pirates redistribute either... but they collect much of their ill-gotten booty.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I don't think it's that hard to find. But IMO, collecting the original hardware and software makes all this NetLink thing special. We still can use them after all those years.

If you just want to play (offline or online) you can buy new games or very cheap old games on the Wii or Xbox 360...
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D