PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS URGENT!!!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
osoma bin llama

PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS URGENT!!!

Post by osoma bin llama »

HI guys first off I just want to say I love sega saturns and I am slowly but surely building up a collection of games and acceseries! And Second off which is the question I want to ask can I connect my sega saturn with netlink if I live in England? Also I just want to say a few other things first off I know where to get a netlink so thats not a problem, but the fact that I am 14 but really eager to learn about how to do this sort of is as I don't know technical terms etc etc. Say as it says in the post name PLEASE HELP ME!!! I would really want to play sega saturn games online! Thankyou for listening (technicaly reading)
NWA

Re: PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS URGENT!!!

Post by NWA »

if you have a pal saturn it wont work. netlink wasnt released in england. ur gonna need a region switch or a usa/ canadian saturn. im pretty hyped im not the only teen on this site tho lol
Better run home to momma now!
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

You will need:
-The means to play US Saturn games (as NWA said, either a region-modified system or a US system)
-The NetLink (which you said you know where to get)
-An analog phone line, preferably with long-distance service. Digital phone services almost never work.
-Probably an adapter for the phone cord - I believe that England uses a different connector than the US
-One or more of the five US NetLink-compatible games:
--Daytona USA CCE NetLink Edition
--Duke Nukem 3D
--Saturn Bomberman
--Sega Rally NetLink Edition
--Virtual On NetLink Edition

The NetLink operates over a direct phone connection with another system, not over the internet, so unless you can find someone locally to play with, you'll have to be involved in long-distance calls. I'll be honest, unless you're willing to make the calls, it may be hard to get people to call internationally to play with you. Long-distance is usually expensive.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
osoma bin llama

Post by osoma bin llama »

Oh so it's like a phone call then you have to pay???
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

It's the cost of the phone call - one NetLink modem is dialing the phone number of the other person. It would cost the same as calling someone in the US from the UK. There's no additional service charges on top of that.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

So basically since you're young I would recommend getting someone to dial out, which is what I do. I'm 13 so I don't take the risk of getting my parents a huge phone bill lol, I don't even know how much long distance costs with my phone company! :mrgreen: Like Warp said, Netlink doesnt have an extra service of using it that charges you, so it would be the cost of just plain long distance or normal phone call local charges if you're playing with someone in your area. The easiest netlink game to find is Duke Nukem 3D, it has to be the US/Canadian or NTSC one which normally goes for 40 dollars.
Better run home to momma now!