Japanese Netlink (Sega Net)

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
NWA

Japanese Netlink (Sega Net)

Post by NWA »

Hi all I have a question does anyone know if the japanese netlink still works like our ntsc netlink?
Better run home to momma now!
Lakster37

Re: Japanese Netlink (Sega Net)

Post by Lakster37 »

Actually, I'm interested in that very question myself. I've got two of them on their way to me (saw them for a really good price so I figured I'd go ahead and snatch them up, even if I couldn't find a way to get them to work) so if you or anyone else does know or hear about a way let me know. From what I've read on these boards and elsewhere though, if they can still work it won't be nearly as simple. The Japanese modem apparently used the XBand service to connect people, much like the service for the SNES and Genesis, and so it sounds like it may possibly be just as dead as the original XBand (although maybe that won't always be the case *fingers crossed*). Just from browsing these forums, rush seems to have found a possible way to allow P2P connections (it sounds like it wasn't an out-of-the-box sort of feature) but that was a few months ago so I don't know if he lost interest in the idea or what. It would definitely cool to be able to get it to work though so that 5 or 6 additional games could be added to the "online" library of the Saturn.
Warp2063
League Veteran
League Veteran

Post by Warp2063 »

As I understand it, it's just like the original XBAND: pay-to-play. I assume the server is no longer up, but even if it is, dialing long-distance to Japan for match-making doesn't sound like my idea of a good (or inexpensive) time.

I do remember Rush talking about an idea for direct play, but I don't remember the details. I don't think he ever got it working.
I have my Saturns, I have some of my games, I have a RasPi. Gotta put all this stuff together!
NWA

Post by NWA »

i hope there is a way though, i'd love to play virtua fighter remix online!
Better run home to momma now!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Well, my japanese modem is deep inside a closet and the games are still factory sealed.

In the weekend I'll try the browser with the modem connected but the games I can't, because I don't have a japanese Saturn and an Action Replay can't do it too, because there's just one cartridge slot...

But if someone want to try Virtual On or Sega Rally I can try dialing with the 14.4 modem.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

The Japanese servers are long gone. They used them for Dreamcast. Those servers are gone as well.