Internet setup help PLEASE HELP!

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
NWA

Internet setup help PLEASE HELP!

Post by NWA »

hey everyone really need your help Because i dont know if im allowed to do this so heres what i did:

I put in a piece in my phone jack that makes two phone jacks, plugged in my internet modem in one jack, then in the other jack I put in a DSL filter and then stuck the phone line into the DSL FILTER jack

Is this going to interfere with my internet connection if a phone call is taking place?? will it cost me more money?? I'd love to know! PS I did this because I have two lines one in the kitchen and one int the room next to me and I decided to use the one in the room next to me because it was much closer and I wont have a phone line running down my hallway
Better run home to momma now!
Rogue

Re: Internet setup help PLEASE HELP!

Post by Rogue »

Sorry I cannot understand exactly what you did.

I think you already know, but a "phone number" defines a "phone line". In the bill, you pay for the number. It doesn't matter if you wire 5 telephones in this line. You can use them all at the same time, with five people talking to the other people who received or did the call. People call them "extensions".
The wiring is just like a lamp wiring. One on one wire. It doesn't even matter the positive or negative, it works anyway. Just don't touch both when the phone rings and you're safe. Please don't do crazy stuff with telephone wiring. If you have gloves, use them, but "usuallly" it's safe.

So what you did above? In my understanding, you have a (already mounted) line in the kitchen, with a telephone plugged in.
And another in the room, with the modem plugged. You splitted the modem line, not in the wire, but with an adapter (it's the same thing, the adapter is just more convenient).

So, it will not interefere. You can also put the filter in the modem instead. It doesn't matter.
Using the filter with the modem makes all the other extensins free to put anything without interference, like faxes, pink phones, Net Links...

If you ask the phone company for another line, they will wire another wire to your house, each with a number. They really don't know how many devices you use at the same time, in the same line.

Edit: well, looks lik you are already using the filter in the modem , right? or else the kitchen phone would be all noisy. Please explain a bit further, my engrish is not the best.
I'm ready to play!
Timezone: GMT -3
Games: Sega Rally - Virtual On - Duke Nukem 3D
NWA

Post by NWA »

There is a filter in the kitchen, and an adapter in the room. In the adapter I have a Filter in the jack where the netlink/phone will be used, and in the other jack on the adapter I have the modem plugged in without a filter.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Right. So, that's it. There will be no cost. You can wire all your rooms of your house with this same line.
Of course signal degradation exists, but for the phones (remember that first of all, it's a telephone line), it's not significant.
For the Net Link, though, I think is relevant. Mine doesn't like to share the line lol.
I'm ready to play!
NWA

Post by NWA »

Well Im trying everything to get my netlink to work because it hasnt been doing too well lately. Ive tried cleaning the pins inside the saturn and netlink, titlting the cartridge, and sticking in the phone lines as well as possible, but lately it hasnt been able to actually get in a game :( it will connect to the point where it says now loading for virtual on, and for all the other games a black screen. In dn3d Ive managed to get to opponent is selecting a map screen but after that it disconnects :( It used to work so well before, and i've never abused it in any way, so Im trying this as one of my last resorts :(
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Weird. Try using another cable. The RJ11 plug is not the strongest in the market...
I'm ready to play!