Can the NetLink still be used to connect to the Internet

All NetLink related discussion goes in here.
Scooter

Can the NetLink still be used to connect to the Internet

Post by Scooter »

I mistakenly posted this in the Saturn forum first. Anyway, .....

I fired up my NetLink after a long period of nonuse and found it cannot make a connection. It dials, connects, tries to log on and then disconnects. I don't know if there is a problem with my hardward but I'm using the PlanetWeb 3.0 browser. Perhaps my ISP doesn't cater to the NetLink anymore? I'm using the same ISP (Concentric) I used years ago when I used my NetLink daily.

TIA.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I don't know why it wouldn't connect- I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. The only way to know for sure if the modem works is to try another ISP or try direct dial gaming somebody. Hard to tell. As far as I know it should work.
Willing to play Bomberman, Duke Nukem 3d, Virtual On, Sega Rally. Send me a PM.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hmmm. The two Saturn memory carts I have don't work either but then they were always kind of finicky. I've tried my memory carts in another Saturn with no response either but perhaps my cart port is bad. I had the machine apart once and saw no obvious problems. I still think it may be ISP related since I see it dial, connect and then only fails when it tries to logon. I've no idea what alternate settings I could try.

Is anyone else out there still on Concentric and able to connect? If so, could we share setting info to see what might work?

Is there anyone in the US who would be willing to try my memory carts in their machine to see if they work? One is a pure memory cart and the other is a Game Shark. I sure would like to know for sure if I've lost all my old game saves. If the carts are good, perhaps the issue is my Saturn and I could shop for a good replacement.
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

The fact that the modem is working, even partially, shows that your cart port might be ok. But then with the memory backups not working, yeah, that could be complicated and hard to pinpoint, could be saturn, could be anything.

Btw, Welcome to the League!

Post by Guest »

This has become really frustrating. My ISP is not much help. Is anyone else out there connecting to the internet via their NetLink? If it's working for you, can you tell me what your modem initialization settings are?

Or perhaps there is someone out there I could dial directly (I have every NetLink game except Sega Bomberman) to at least test if my Saturn/NetLink combo is working properly.

TIA
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

I will be home Thursday, so I can help you test to see if direct dial with another modem works. My instincts tell me it should. Weird that concentric won't work with your NetLink, considering it was one of the ISP's that Sega featured out of the box.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I have to believe it is a setting or logon/password thing since can see it connect. Concentric, well, XO Communications now, hasn't been much help at all but then I can't expect them to provide any support for a ten year old project that has only one or two users out there.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Is there anyone else out there who can still connect to the internet using their NetLink?
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey man, just to let you know, tried connecting to the web with my NetLink last night... It works! Here's one tip you might want to try: For the DNS settings, erase them and leave it blank, so this way the ISP can assign them, that might be the problem. Your screen name and pass might be case sensitive too, so check it that's the problem. Other than that, can't think of any tips.
Cidus

Post by Cidus »

Yeah, tried mine out too and it still works like a charm. You guys see how many dead links there are on the startup netlink city page? :P
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Ah NetLink City! You must be using the 2.0 Browser. I still have that as well as the 3.0 browser, and I'll break out the 4.0 Upgrade for everyone to download on here as well if people are interested and if I can find it. Last night I tested the Saturn Bomberman browser, NetLink zone takes you to a Sega page that says "Link doesn't exist."

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem with my dreamcast browser dialing up, connecting, and then failing to log in. I use MSN and by putting msn/ in front of your username fixed the problem for me. Your ISP also has to use a standard PPP connection: AOL, Compuserve, WebTV and Mfire (which is PPP compliant but doesnt work anyway) dont fall under this category.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Xranger60 wrote:Ah NetLink City! You must be using the 2.0 Browser. I still have that as well as the 3.0 browser, and I'll break out the 4.0 Upgrade for everyone to download on here as well if people are interested and if I can find it. Last night I tested the Saturn Bomberman browser, NetLink zone takes you to a Sega page that says "Link doesn't exist."
Did know there was a 4.0 upgrade? is this the one you actually download into the saturns memory to make it a patched version? I saw something like this somewhere sounded interesting....anyway great idea im interested :)
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)
Xranger60
Site Admin

Post by Xranger60 »

Yup, the 4.0 Upgrade was the last thing PlanetWeb did for the Saturn. You downloaded it right into the Saturn's memory, and when you turned off the system, it would be gone again.
segadreamcaster

Post by segadreamcaster »

Ah yes this us where I saw this before:

http://www.gue-tech.org/cgi-bin/netlink/nph-netlink.cgi

Very interesting must try this...do they update any version or do you need version 3.0 to update from there?
Saturn netlink owner in the UK/ Bristol South-Glos area :)

Own all 5 netlink games:

Sega Rally - Netlink edition
Virtual On - Netlink edition
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman
Daytona USA CCE netlink edition (genuine copy)